Frederick Pohl's "Gateway" to made into feature film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheNavigator

As a long time fan of "hard" sci-fi, I really like the idea of a film adaption of the classic "Gateway" by Frederick Pohl. However- I don't know if this is truly hpappening or not. I recall seeing a news item mentioning this within the last 4 months. I've been unable to find any reference since, even using the major online search engines.
Does anyone have any information regarding this?

A

a_lost_packet_

Hmm... I like the idea of "Gateway" being made into a feature film as well. It's been decades since I read it, though.

A feature film would be a cross between Stargate and Event Horizon.. and the Transporter Malfunction Scene in "Star Trek: The Motion Picture." :)

C

crazyeddie

TheNavigator":r57umi2g said:
As a long time fan of "hard" sci-fi, I really like the idea of a film adaption of the classic "Gateway" by Frederick Pohl. However- I don't know if this is truly hpappening or not. I recall seeing a news item mentioning this within the last 4 months. I've been unable to find any reference since, even using the major online search engines.
Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Interesting, if they do. I wonder if they will, in the typical Hollywood fashion, leave the homosexual aspect of the story out of it for the sake of drawing the largest possible audience.

D

docm

No Gateway movies on the radar, though 2 lackluster videogames were released in the early 1990's.

A

a_lost_packet_

crazyeddie":2deevlkj said:
Interesting, if they do. I wonder if they will, in the typical Hollywood fashion, leave the homosexual aspect of the story out of it for the sake of drawing the largest possible audience.

I don't remember anything particularly overt in that respect. It's been a long time since I've read it, though. From what I was able to gather looking online, it wasn't anything remarkably sexual. It would be similar to homosexual relationships expressed in some of the works of Benford (early Galactic Center series), Heinlein (various) and Bear (Anvil of Stars). A lot of sci-fi authors have worked in "sci-fi" social concepts like contract marriage, tri-marriages, same-sex marriages, etc.. I don't remember Gateway being particularly heavy on that subject or delving into anything explicit as a main element of the story.

R

RogerPenna

Ender´s Game... Foundation... The End of Eternity... Rama... I´ve heard rumours of all these excellent books being turned into movies in the past 10 years... none happened!

C

crazyeddie

a_lost_packet_":3c2qq6cq said:
crazyeddie":3c2qq6cq said:

I don't remember anything particularly overt in that respect. It's been a long time since I've read it, though. From what I was able to gather looking online, it wasn't anything remarkably sexual. It would be similar to homosexual relationships expressed in some of the works of Benford (early Galactic Center series), Heinlein (various) and Bear (Anvil of Stars). A lot of sci-fi authors have worked in "sci-fi" social concepts like contract marriage, tri-marriages, same-sex marriages, etc.. I don't remember Gateway being particularly heavy on that subject or delving into anything explicit as a main element of the story.

It wasn't overt, but Robinette reveals, in his therapy to his AI shrink Sigfrid, a sexual attraction to one of his male crewmates, which is never consummated.

B

bkevander

RogerPenna":2lva1xyq said:
Ender´s Game... Foundation... The End of Eternity... Rama... I´ve heard rumours of all these excellent books being turned into movies in the past 10 years... none happened!

Foundation would make a good movie, I believe. I'd like to see Niven's "Ringworld" as a movie. Or maybe Haldeman's "The Forever War." I think both would translate really well to the silver screen. And how about the Saberhagen's "Berserker" series or what about the Niven/Pournelle/Anderson/Ing "Man-Kzin Wars"?

So many good books.......too few decent movies. *sigh*

A

a_lost_packet_

bkevander":2g0u982s said:
Foundation would make a good movie, I believe.

Foundation is already under way. (For some reason, I thought Sci-Fi was going to do a mini-series on that. IMO, a mini-series would be the appropriate medium for that movie.)

I'd like to see Niven's "Ringworld" as a movie.

That would be tough.. Not because Ringworld is so ginormous.. But, because the books are so ginormous in scope. There'd have to be hundreds of sets. The characters bop around all over the place. I bet if one is done, it's going to be an "adaption" and not a straight up film of the novel.

Or maybe Haldeman's "The Forever War."

I recently read that on recommendations from this forum. I didn't see it as a great "story." The one thing it did do was try to stick with a hard-sci-fi approach to relativistic travel. But, while it did a good job of portraying that, it lacked depth. Nothing much really seemed to happen in the story. IMO

I think both would translate really well to the silver screen. And how about the Saberhagen's "Berserker" series or what about the Niven/Pournelle/Anderson/Ing "Man-Kzin Wars"?

So many good books.......too few decent movies. *sigh*

I love those last two settings. Though, the Man-Kzin wars got a bit old after awhile for me. But, "Berserker".. now that's got some potential for some nice edge-of-your-seat story. I like the repeating theme of the Berserkers and the various stories that have been built on them. Nothing say's "Doom" louder than a giant alien spaceship built for destruction with a huge "If you can read this you're dead." bumper sticker on the back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.