Future of STS

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bwhite

<i> NASA dropped the transhab proposal after studies showed it wouldn't result in any cost savings for the ISS. </i><br /><br />Cost savings for ISS? What about developing technology for the Moon and Mars? Using ISS to get two for one deals? As I recall, TransHab got axed precisely because it had dual use capability. <br /><br />= = =<br /><br />Daughter radiation issues leads to plastic habitats as a critical technology for moving beyond the van Allen belts. Adding layers of hydrogen rich plastics and water protects astronauts and avoids showers of particles when fast movers strike aluminum nucleii.<br /><br />Constance Adams also pointed out that TransHabs are more roomy and retain heat far better than metal cans.<br /> <br />= = =<br /><br />So Bigelow bought the patents. Should we now ignore the technology?

D

dobbins

"Bigelow's UFO beliefs are irrelevant"<br /><br />Beliefs that show very poor judgment are always relevant. If NASA or Boeing had a top official that believed in alien abductions the alt.space crowd would be all over it as proof that Old Space was incompetent, but since Bigelow is a upstart he gets a free pass.<br /><br />

S

Swampcat

<font color="yellow">"Beliefs that show very poor judgment are always relevant."</font><br /><br />No. Not always.<br /><br />If Mr. Bigelow had nothing else going for him you might have a point, but considering his other accomplishments I don't see how you can credibly impugn his judgement.<br /><br />I don't agree with his UFO beliefs either, but that has nothing to do with his competency in other areas. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

B

bwhite

Whether or not Bigelow has nutty ideas about aliens and UFOs, he did acquire intellectual property and has done his own follow on work that will be very useful to our future Moon/Mars efforts.<br /><br />So we may need to humor him a bit. ;-) <br /><br />= = =<br /><br />More background:<br /><br />http://www.thespacereview.com/article/187/1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts