Future spacesuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phrgarek

What should contain a modern future spacesuit or of which materials must be made a spacesuit that would protect astronauts of strong radiation, for example, during mission on jupiter's moons Io or Europa? Or what are another way outs that would protect astronauts of this heavy radiation?
thnx

J

JonClarke

Thwe radiation is so high that you probably would not be able to do anything in a suit. Maybe something more like a well-shielded preessurised rover with various manipulators is what is needed.

Jon

K

kelvinzero

Probably a good place to use teleoperation, while you are hiding near at hand behind some big ice shield. (near at hand being under a few thousand km so the time lag is negligable). I think that eventually teleoperation will be more agile than a spacesuit and it looks like quite a while before we have a manned mission to jupiter!

Perhaps you could stop off at Callisto or some other icy rock outside the radiation belt to build your ice shield, rather than carry it all the way from earth.

People have also been investigating mini-magnetosphere shielding. I think that would work better for shielding your craft in orbit where you can extend out the fields a long way from the ship than for a spacesuit on the surface.

M

michaelmozina

phrgarek":35ijaqfm said:
What should contain a modern future spacesuit or of which materials must be made a spacesuit that would protect astronauts of strong radiation, for example, during mission on jupiter's moons Io or Europa? Or what are another way outs that would protect astronauts of this heavy radiation?
thnx

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Bui ... p_999.html

FYI, it will probably be an external shielding system for the spacecraft that provides that type of radiation protection rather than a spacesuit.

P

phrgarek

hmm, yeah, so artificial magnetosphere would be one of the solutions....i red about that before, but i was wondering are there some ways to invent something and integrate such technology on spacesuit, 'cause i watched that BBC'S documentary Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets year ago, and scene when astronaut lady walked on surface of the Io..... i thought immediately that, that is crap and impossible for a long time, but as i said, i was curious could scientist invent some superb spacesuit in near future that could shield astronauts from radiation....

K

kelvinzero

Not in the near future I would guess. Luckily it doesn't look like we are going there in the near future :)

Does anyone know how many centimeters (or meters) of conventional shielding would be required?

Also does the radiation come from all directions, or would one half of Io be shielded?

Status
Not open for further replies.