Gaia theory, is it well recognized by science in general?

Feb 22, 2021
Reading the book Gaia in the early 80's was a eureka moment for myself, it all made sense.
Professor James Lovelock - Genius - [1919-7-26 turning 102 this year]
Gaia, embrace the earth mother nature Godess our living planet Gaia.
Lovelock proposed we change the name of our planet to Gaia. He was backed by William Golding - Lord of the Flies - 1983 Nobel prize.
Gaia:- our living planet is a sentient Being in her own right. Her Mr Moon pivotal.
I love the theory, what do you think?

Here is part of the Wiki description:
Topics related to the hypothesis include how the biosphere and the evolution of organisms affect the stability of global temperature, salinity of seawater, atmospheric oxygen levels, the maintenance of a hydrosphere of liquid water and other environmental variables that affect the habitability of Earth.
The Gaia hypothesis was initially criticized for being teleological and against the principles of natural selection, but later refinements aligned the Gaia hypothesis with ideas from fields such as Earth system science, biogeochemistry and systems ecology.[4][5][6] Lovelock also once described the "geophysiology" of the Earth.[7][further explanation needed] Even so, the Gaia hypothesis continues to attract criticism, and today many scientists consider it to be only weakly supported by, or at odds with, the available evidence.[8][9][10]

I was equally impressed when I read the original, and still believe that it contains a lot of truth.
As a scientist, I understand some of the criticism, but now I am prepared to put heart over head and thoroughly endorse the Gaia idea,

You never know, covid may be Nature's (Gaia's) way of saying "enough is enough".

Cat :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts