Galaxys

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kelly4263

Does the shape of a galaxy determine the possibility of life existing within it? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rosiegh

In our galaxy, life as we know it can only exist a certain distance away from the center where there is not to much harmful radiation. Depending on the shape of the galaxy in question, life should be able to exist in areas where the conditions are similar to our own "inhabitable zone". <br /><br />Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Q

qso1

At this point there is not enough evidence to say you are right or wrong. While radiation may be much more prevalent the closer to the galactic center one gets, we still do not know what the threshold for radiation protection is for potential life bearing worlds. And what the limits of life forms developing actually are.<br /><br />If what you say is correct, that still leaves enormous potential for life bearing worlds. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

H

harmonicaman

I think a uniformly shaped galaxy with very nicely defined bars and/or spirals would be a better candidate for life than a galaxy that is misshapen due to galactic collisions. Life likely requires a long period of stability to develop successfully.

Q

qso1

Generally speaking, thats probably true. In the case of galactic collisions, the area of collision is so large relative to stellar systems and of such lengthy duration. A planet with intelligent life most likely would not realize a collision was underway unless a passing star resulting from the collision passed their way and disrupted them. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts