GCSP 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tfwthom

GCSP Website <br /><br />The 2008 Grand Canyon Star Party (GCSP) will be held from June 21 through 28th on the South Rim in northern Arizona's Grand Canyon National Park. All amateur astronomers and the interested public of all ages are invited! Bring your telescope and enjoy the camaraderie. But you don't have to have a telescope to come and enjoy the beautiful Arizona night skies. You DO need to reserve a room or campsite and make your travel arrangements early.<br /><br />This is designed to be a public event, and if you want to do photography or CCD imaging, this may not be the event for you.<br /><br />I made my reservations in Trailer Village today.<br /><br />There will no longer be a North Rim version of the event due to space restraints. However, Jane Houston Jones has expressed an interest in starting up a star party at the Kaibab Lodge near the north entrance of the Park. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

B

bckalt

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> The 2008 Grand Canyon Star Party (GCSP) will be held from June 21 through 28th on the South Rim in northern Arizona's Grand Canyon National Park.</DIV></p><p>The moon is just past full on June 21 and rises about 10 PM.&nbsp; Isn't this a lousy time for looking at stars? Why schedule a star party then?</p><p>&nbsp;(I don't mean to offend anyone; I'm new to the star-party idea, and I'm curious.) </p>

T

tfwthom

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The moon is just past full on June 21 and rises about 10 PM.&nbsp; Isn't this a lousy time for looking at stars? Why schedule a star party then?&nbsp;(I don't mean to offend anyone; I'm new to the star-party idea, and I'm curious.) <br />Posted by bckalt</DIV><br /></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Why we voted on holding the GCSP with the Moon was because if we went with the new Moon that was early in June kids wouldn't be out of school yet so wouldn't be traveling with their familes. The National Park will not let us go with a late new Moon that would take us into the July 4th weekend. </p><p>This is after all a public event, we are there to show the park visitors the night sky. The club I belong to has a dark site 1000 feet higher and darker then the Grand Canyon (about&nbsp;5 miles from where they are building the Discovery Channel Telescope) so going to the GCSP isn't any great shakes.</p><p>Oh and there will be a North Rim GCSP, problems with it were straightened out.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

T

tfwthom

The GCSP is next month. If you are traveling in Arizona (or the southwest) stop in. There will be about 100 scopes set up (I'll have my Meade LX90 8' and Tak FS128 set up) (my wife will have her TeleVue TV85 there) the big scopes will be the deluxe dobs at&nbsp; 28" (Dennis's scope) or Ara's 24". Those are the usual big scope that are there. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

R

rybanis

<p>Oh, to live in Arizona!</p><p>My most recient issue of Sky and Telescope has an advertisement for an astronomy-centered housing subdivision out in the middle of nowhere. If only... &nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.