geo/helio-centric

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

mtrotto7287- Your closing statement concludes no contest, in effect- saying one cannot be sure which model is accurate.<br /><br />I thought you wanted to win the trial?<br /><br />Interestingly, many debaters, when faced with clear evidence their side is wrong, will muddy the waters, so to speak, saying the truth cannot be known for certain.<br /><br />It is a common debate tactic.<br /><br />Alas, it continues in real life - and stifles scientific research.<br /><br />In contrast, the ancient church claimed infallibility, including the geocentric model! Their tactic was even worse for science - it sought to silence researchers who discovered flaws in their interpretations and models.

M

mtrotto7287

"Ive been put on the goeocentric side(church), and all we have to do is cast doubt on the heliocentric view, as well as show the geocentric model as a decent alternative "<br /><br />----i believe this was in my initial post of this topic-----<br /><br />that is why i did not focus on disproving heliocentricity, or proving geocentricity as the only true model---- if i did this, they could have used the exact same thinking from our closing statement against us

M

mtrotto7287

by the way---- how do you make certain text appear yellow in a post? i have seen many like that, but am not sure how to do it. <br />

N

newtonian

mtrotto7287 - Or red...<br /><br />I don't know, I asked that question on the suggestions section, followed the instructions but ended up with all white text as usual.<br /><br />I'll be listening for the answer.

A

arobie

(red) text (/red) = Makes the given text red.<br />(green) text (/green) = Makes the given text green.<br />(blue) text (/blue) = Makes the given text blue.<br />(orange) text (/orange) = Makes the given text orange.<br />(black) text (/black) = Makes the given text black.<br />(white) text (/white) = Makes the given text white.<br />(yellow) text (/yellow) = Makes the given text yellow.<br />(purple) text (/purple) = Makes the given text purple. <br />FAQ<br />Use "[]" instead of "()". <font color="red">H</font>font color=green><b><i>a</i></b>font color=blue>vfont color=orange>e<font color="black">f</font>font color=white>ufont color=yellow>nfont color=purple>!!<br /><br />Cool thread. I'm out, sorry for the diversion of topic.

M

mtrotto7287

<font color="blue"> cool </font> <font color="black"> thank </font> <font color="purple"> you </font><br /><br />hopefully that will work {:OP

M

mtrotto7287

closing statements were just read today-<br /><br />unfortunately, they beat us by 1, of course, this is strange since, their team had one more person than ours-<br /><br />our teacher said that our arguments were strongest, so thats cool<br /><br /><br />thank you guys(and girls) for the help and clarifications that you gave me<br /><br />peace

A

a_lost_packet_

<font color="yellow">mtrotto 7287 - closing statements were just read today- unfortunately, they beat us by 1, of course, this is strange since, their team had one more person than ours- our teacher said that our arguments were strongest, so thats cool </font><br /><br />In such things, it's not who "wins" but the performance shown by the participants. It sounds as though your team "won" where it really counted. Good job!<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

M

mtrotto7287

thank you- i too believe we were successful, plus we learned a ton from it, so thats even more than i expected from this assignment!!!

S

Saiph

quite likely what happened is the same thing heliocentrism faced in it's day. Popular bias. Despite your "stronger" arguements, people refused to believe it, cause it's contrary to current ideas.<br /><br />IF that was the only factor anyway. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

M

mtrotto7287

Saiph- that is true- when we first got this assignment, and started researching for the trial, i thought it would be impossible to push geocentricity as an alternative- i didnt think any argument<br /><br />after this trial though- i can see the importance if quiestioning the things i learned- instead of blindly dismissing different points of view

S

Saiph

then I think the activity has succeeded at it's goal. Congratulations. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

N

newtonian

<font color="red">mtrotto7287[red/] -<font color="green"> Yes, congratulations.[green/]<br /><br /><font color="blue">And thanks for that color question.[blue/] <br /><br /><font color="yellow">Here goes.[yellow/]<br /><br />How'd I do?</font></font></font></font>

M

mtrotto7287

(black) no problem Newtonian (black/)<br /><br />(red) seems to be working fine (red/)

M

mtrotto7287

<font color="black"> no problem Newtonian [black/]<br /><br /><font color="red"> seems to be working fine [red/]</font></font>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts