Good astrophotography camera

• Thread starter AlnitakAlnilamMintaka
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlnitakAlnilamMintaka

Last winter, when it was nice and cool outside (I live in Arizona), I took my Insignia camera outisde. I forgot what for, but I took a pictures. I accidentally took a picture of the sky and I let it expose. To my surpise, it had osme stars in it! I continued for about an hour, and it was preetty cool what I could get. But one night, I tried to get the Plieades and Aldebaran. The Pleiades appeard as a point of light brighter than Aldebaran, which was weird. I don't know what happened. But I'm very familiar with the winter sky; Taurus, Orion, Canis Minor/Major, Auriga... It came out good, but not so good... I don't want a pricy one that gets nebulae and galaxies, just a good one that you can set exposure times and get good images of stars. I don't know much about cameras and I hope you can help! Thanks! :D :!: :?: :idea:

O

origin

AlnitakAlnilamMintaka":3pjy4xaa said:
Last winter, when it was nice and cool outside (I live in Arizona), I took my Insignia camera outisde. I forgot what for, but I took a pictures. I accidentally took a picture of the sky and I let it expose. To my surpise, it had osme stars in it! I continued for about an hour, and it was preetty cool what I could get. But one night, I tried to get the Plieades and Aldebaran. The Pleiades appeard as a point of light brighter than Aldebaran, which was weird. I don't know what happened. But I'm very familiar with the winter sky; Taurus, Orion, Canis Minor/Major, Auriga... It came out good, but not so good... I don't want a pricy one that gets nebulae and galaxies, just a good one that you can set exposure times and get good images of stars. I don't know much about cameras and I hope you can help! Thanks! :D :!: :?: :idea:

It really depends on what you are trying to get a picture of. It is not so much the camera, it is the tripod you use - of course I am assuming you don't have a cheap camera. If you have any sort of long exposure you will need to be able to track the stars across the sky - if not the stars will just be lines. The best way IMO is to purchase a relatively inexpensive $200 - $400 newtonian reflector telescope with a good mount and an electric drive. You can use your camera through the scope or mount your camera on the scope for wide angle shots. That is what I do and I have a small 4.5" reflector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts