Gravity And Dark Matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ayepod

Hope I don't get flamed, but this is my first post.

Anyway, I'm keen on all things space, and its only in my later years of life (im only 24) that I realised how annoyed i was when i never listened in physics at high school. Anyway, i think about space a lot and here is something thats been annoying me.

Gravity goes on forever right? and theres clearly quite a lot of it. But theres also an equal amount of dark matter. I remember a great man once said, that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Could dark matter be the simple equal and opposite reaction to gravity. As gravity pulls things in, dark matter pushes things away. It makes sense to me, but i wonder what other peoples views are on it.

I doubt its right, but IF by some spectacular notion it is, its simply simple physics :).

Discuss! lol.

M

MeteorWayne

Hi, and welcome to Space.com.

Unfortunately, you've got it all wrong. What dark matter is (whatever it is) is matter than can be detected in no other way except through it's gravitational effects, so far.

So to split it into something different is way off the mark. The only reason we suspect dark matter is because it creates gravity.

Oh, and BTW, to call age 24 "your later years of life" is really funny, for someone who's more than twice as old as you :)

A

ayepod

MeteorWayne":2jfbcyxh said:
Hi, and welcome to Space.com.

Unfortunately, you've got it all wrong. What dark matter is (whatever it is) is matter than can be detected in no other way except through it's gravitational effects, so far.

So to split it into something different is way off the mark. The only reason we suspect dark matter is because it creates gravity.

Oh, and BTW, to call age 24 "your later years of life" is really funny, for someone who's more than twice as old as you :)

Cheers much! its been annoying me for ages that 1. I should have listened in physics eh? i was only joking around with the later years of life thing haha. very tongue in cheek so it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts