HAS A SPACE WAR STARTED??

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

The first one is already well known; there was a Russian launch vehicle failure, which put an upper stage with some fuel still on board into orbit. Something caused it to detonate; I suppose it <i>could</i> have been done by the Chinese, but no suspicious launch from Chinese territory occured. (That is, it can't have been destroyed by impact with a kill vehicle, at least not on purpose.) THe second story is definitely not that sort of a thing either, because there was no impact at all. What the Chinese tested was an impactor, so the Russian satellite should've been obliterated if it was destroyed by the same technology.<br /><br />Whatever caused these two accidents was definitely not the same thing. That's not to say it *can't* have been caused by other ASAT technologies, just that they're definitely different. I don't think anybody currently has the technology to destroy a satellite without launching a kill vehicle at it, so I tend to think the first one was a true accident. The latter I suppose could be some exotic beam weapon, since the vehicle wasn't destroyed but simply rendered inoperable. Some kind of EMP thing, although I am rather skeptical that the technology exists to do that so surreptitiously. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

D

docm

Anyone else notice the meteor that flashed by near that launcher? <br /><br />If it had partners.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

cyclonebuster

Actually there were a few of them! Which satellite will be hit next by the ping pong ball theory?? Will it be the ISS?

A

arkady

Yes, but don't worry, just <br /><br />Duck and Cover! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> "<font color="#0000ff"><em>The choice is the Universe, or nothing</em> ... </font>" - H.G Wells </div>

S

solarspot

"So how long before the next incident?"<br /><br />Probably the next time somebody feels paranoid enough to make a big deal out of routine operations... lol<br /><br />The above statement is not directed at anyone...

Q

qso1

cyclonebuster:<br />Remember China blowing up it's own satellite awhile back?<br /><br />Then it could have caused this!<br /><br />Me:<br />It may have caused some kind of accident but this does not necessarily mean a space war has started. If your going to start a war, why waste resources on a spent stage? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

C

cyclonebuster

Again the ping pong ball theory will eventually set off almost every mouse trap over time!!

T

telfrow

No, he's not. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Be careful when you say that to a moderator....<br />just friendly advice. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts