Question Has anyone heard of the Earth's "Aerosphere"?

Seems to be a French word equivalent to atmosphere. I guess it just never caught on.

In Google n-gram viewer "atmosphere" is shown to occur in 0.003% of printed materials since year 1800, as far back as the graph goes.

"Aerosphere" did not show up until 1850, has averaged around 0.00000012% since then, with a big uptick around year 2000 to 0.00000022%.

There is one use of the word "aerosphere" for every 14,000 uses of "atmosphere".

Last edited:
The aerosphere is the layer of the atmosphere closest to the surface that supports airborne life. A dazzling array of creatures, including birds, bugs and bats, spends a significant part of its lives aloft in an environment more variable and dynamic than either land or sea
I doubt this is true, but I like it. :) Perhaps its altitude is limited by how far an arrow can be shot upward. ;)

I think both "atmosphere" and "aerosphere" have Greek origins, but with the same meaning, like "astera" and "stellar" are the same meaning. Style comes into play when the meanings are the same. No one says "atmodynamic", but "aerodynamic". Similarly, the inventor of an instrument that determines true star color named it an asterochromograph, rather than a stellarchromograph. Style without loss of substance.

Reactions: billslugg
Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
The aerosphere is the layer of the atmosphere closest to the surface that supports airborne life. A dazzling array of creatures, including birds, bugs and bats, spends a significant part of its lives aloft in an environment more variable and dynamic than either land or sea
MyAdvocateAurora Health
That's great. Yep, to me, the aerosphere is also anywhere between the Earth's surface and 6 miles up, the normal range for aircraft flight.

Latest posts