has this forum been spammed? email list of new posts contain nonsensical messages!

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
for example ... yuwen56327q posted a new thread to a forum you are watching at Space.com Forums.
73+6
this is Not just one such message (a test) but a repetitive sequence of message!
they've been coming in for well over a week But I've noticed No meta-discussion about it being a known problem with solution in process! Thanks for any information. If it doesn't stop I'll likely drop my subscription to space.com. just saying! Best regards, Mike

Wolfshadw

Unfortunately, yes. This forum gets spammed multiple times each day (I suspect most forums do). Also, I am not one of the forum admins, so I cannot say what steps (if any) are being taken to reduce the amount of spam the forum receives. The forum software does have mechanisms for dealing with spam, but how (or if) it's being implemented is only something the Admin team could state.

My best recommendation would be to turn off e-mail notifications/alerts of new threads and to just pop in on the New Posts page from time to time. As a member of the forum moderation team, I can say we do what we can to keep the spam off of the front page, but we don't always get to it right away (we do need sleep from time to time).

I apologize for your negative experience and hope you will stick around.
Wolfshadw

shaines

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
for example ... yuwen56327q posted a new thread to a forum you are watching at Space.com Forums.
73+6
this is Not just one such message (a test) but a repetitive sequence of message!
they've been coming in for well over a week But I've noticed No meta-discussion about it being a known problem with solution in process! Thanks for any information. If it doesn't stop I'll likely drop my subscription to space.com. just saying! Best regards, Mike

Hey there,

Forum spam is a real pain for users to deal with. We're very sorry about all of that. We take a lot of steps to minimize it, but it's impossible to create an open space where everyone can sign up and eliminate 100% of people looking to spam.

Instead of finding ways to lock down the forums, making it harder for normal users to get registered, we're working on improving protections to help minimize the amount of spam getting through.

Whenever anyone sees any spam at all, please click the Report option on the post. If you report it to us a Moderator will be notified and can handle it quickly.

Thanks so much for your patience and for helping us tackle spam by reporting it whenever it pops up. I hope you have a fantastic weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts