Have telescope need targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chaslittell

I have a new XT-8 Dob (w/lunar filter), so of course I have abundant clouds. Should they every part, say weekend after next when I will be in the countryside in southern Ohio, what would be the ideal targets to try to find to impress my friends? If I feed them enough coffee we might stay up late enough to see the Moon and Saturn rise, and I discovered I can actually locate the Andromeda galaxy. What are the other tried and true targets of opportunity this time of year? Also, given the 8" bucket, do you think an O-III filter is a worthy investment? I have heard that the others, even narrowband, are likely to disappoint. Thanks! Chas

N

nevers

Yes, M42 - The Great Orion Nebula. Also, M36-38 in Auriga. M34 in Perseus as well as the Double Cluster - NGC 869 & 884. M33 - The Whirlpool Galaxy in Triangulum. And the Sculptor Galaxy (NGC 253) if you can swing it (it rivals Andromeda in dark skies). The Globular - M15 in Pegasus if you don't wait too long. Those are the fairly earlier ones I can think of off the top of me head. Hope you get clear skies soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts