Heat and gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LKD

I was reading on the relativity topic and thinking on the forces of gravity, and it occurred to me I had no idea what happens to heat under the forces of gravity, as it seems nothing is immune to this effect that we know of.

So if you ignite a lighter on the surface of the sun, the surface of the earth, and in vacuous space, ignoring all but the heat produced by the lighter and the amount of gravity experienced. What differences would there be if any and why?

Thank you kindly for any answer.

O

origin

LKD":36y067yq said:
I was reading on the relativity topic and thinking on the forces of gravity, and it occurred to me I had no idea what happens to heat under the forces of gravity, as it seems nothing is immune to this effect that we know of.

So if you ignite a lighter on the surface of the sun, the surface of the earth, and in vacuous space, ignoring all but the heat produced by the lighter and the amount of gravity experienced. What differences would there be if any and why?

Thank you kindly for any answer.

Heat is transfered by several methods conduction convections and radiation.

Conduction is the transfer of the vibrational energy of one molecule to the other by direct contact. Like heating a one end of a steel bar and the heat moves through the whole bar. In this case gravity really has nothing to do with it.

Convection is acutally a special case of conduction. In convection a fluid moves due to differences in denstiy and then transfers it's heat (vibrational energy) from the warmer molecules to the cooler molecules. The fluid transfers it's heat by the transport of the bulk fluid. Again gravity will not have much affect.

Radiation is the transfer of heat by IR radiation which is just a wave lenght of EM radiation. Electromatic radiation is affected. So in different gravitational fields the wave length of the Inra red radiation will change or the path direction will change. For this to be noticable you need very large graviational fields.

L

LKD

Would the compression of space around large gravity well have no effect at all on atom particles to either lessen or increase its activity in the form of resistance, or lack there of, when excluding emission type heat transference?

O

origin

LKD":1bjxftf0 said:
Would the compression of space around large gravity well have no effect at all on atom particles to either lessen or increase its activity in the form of resistance, or lack there of, when excluding emission type heat transference?

Frankly I don't know. Off the top of my head I do not see a mechanism that would cause the vibrational energy to change or the ability to transfer that energy to an adjacent atom to change due to a different level of gravity.

L

LKD

Thank you kindly.

I am starting to also wonder if the 'time' effects of gravity in addition to the warping of space would also have a measurable outcome in regards to heat.

But that, likely, is not a factor either as you said. I can't think of anything that would effect it, and why my question was brought up, because it seems nothing isn't effected by gravity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts