Heros, lack of science

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bflowing

<p>Do you think any of the writers for Heros actually read any science books?</p><p>Most of the "powers" that their characters have, could not&nbsp;exist just by a change in DNA.&nbsp; But, okay, I was willing to live with it, just for the sake of the story.</p><p>But the last two episodes, Eclipse 1 and Eclipse 2 went over the edge.&nbsp; It was the neverending eclipse!&nbsp; Plus it was a full eclipse seen from Central America and&nbsp;North America!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Do you think any of the writers for Heros actually read any science books?Most of the "powers" that their characters have, could not&nbsp;exist just by a change in DNA.&nbsp; But, okay, I was willing to live with it, just for the sake of the story.But the last two episodes, Eclipse 1 and Eclipse 2 went over the edge.&nbsp; It was the neverending eclipse!&nbsp; Plus it was a full eclipse seen from Central America and&nbsp;North America! <br />Posted by Bflowing</DIV></p><p>You don't even seen accurate reporting of science in many so-called hard news stories regarding scientific topics.&nbsp;And you expect a TV entertainment show to be realistic ?</p><p>If you want a story that is scientifically plausible, then you will find your sources of entertainment to be rather limited.&nbsp; But there is nothing wrong with being a bit selective in what you watch, or read.&nbsp; In fact, you might want to reduce the TV and read a book.&nbsp; Some of them are pretty bad too, but one can be more selective in choosing a book than in selecting a channel.</p><p>I don't watch Heros, but I can assure that the powers ascribed to fictional superheros cannot be obtained just by changing the DNA.&nbsp; They would require a radical change to the laws of physics and the periodic table.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

Bflowing

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>You don't even seen accurate reporting of science in many so-called hard news stories regarding scientific topics.&nbsp;And you expect a TV entertainment show to be realistic ?If you want a story that is scientifically plausible, then you will find your sources of entertainment to be rather limited.&nbsp; But there is nothing wrong with being a bit selective in what you watch, or read.&nbsp; In fact, you might want to reduce the TV and read a book.&nbsp; Some of them are pretty bad too, but one can be more selective in choosing a book than in selecting a channel.I don't watch Heros, but I can assure that the powers ascribed to fictional superheros cannot be obtained just by changing the DNA.&nbsp; They would require a radical change to the laws of physics and the periodic table. <br />Posted by DrRocket</DIV><br /><br />I enjoyed the first season, it had a good plot line and enough twists to keep it interesting.&nbsp; Of course you had to suspend belief in these so called "powers", but that is sci fi.&nbsp; This season they try to explain how it all happened, and they can't.&nbsp; The point I raised is that the writers couldn't even accurately (or even close) portray a solar eclipse!</p><p>Oh, I read three to four books a week, with my favorite writers being Ringo, Weber, Drake, Flint, and Turtledove.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

thebigcat

<p>Just how long did that totality period last anyway? Long enough for Sylar and Elle to come busting in on Claire and vortex dude's house, everyone realizes their powers are gone, gunfight ensues, Claire gets shot in the shoulder, HRG takes Claire home, Sylar and Elle boink (nice to know Sylar didn't lose <em>all </em>of his powers), HRG comes back with a sniper rifle and puts a few rounds through the window then breaks in and shoots Elle in the hip (soft tissue wound only), Sylar and Elle flee, Mrs HRG takes Claire to the hospital, HRG persues Sylar and Elle into a supermarket, the hospital staff freak on Mrs HRG and call the cops because Claire's infection is not normal, HRG kills Sylar with a box knife, Claire dies in the hospital.....What is that, a couple of hours worth or real time events? In the real world totality at any given location can never be more than 7 1/2 minutes.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The key to enjoying any science fiction show is suspension of disbelief, especially for someone who has any sort of science background or interest in the sciences. But some days...some days simple suspension isn't enough. Some days you have to stalk your disbelief while it's feeding on tabloid headlines in the supermarket, hit it with tranquilizer darts, tie it up tight before it wakes up, gag it so it can't scream and disturb you, and stuff it in the hallway closet. And if the program is something which is written so skillfully that you actually care for the characters, identify with their motivations, you will do this willingly.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>See, I was watching Heroes and I was thinking "Man, that's <em>some </em>eclipse." I was fully aware that from a scientific perspective it was completely impossible. <strong>But I couldn't have cared less because I was enjoying the story.</strong> </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

Bflowing

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Just how long did that totality period last anyway? Long enough for Sylar and Elle to come busting in on Claire and vortex dude's house, everyone realizes their powers are gone, gunfight ensues, Claire gets shot in the shoulder, HRG takes Claire home, Sylar and Elle boink (nice to know Sylar didn't lose all of his powers), HRG comes back with a sniper rifle and puts a few rounds through the window then breaks in and shoots Elle in the hip (soft tissue wound only), Sylar and Elle flee, Mrs HRG takes Claire to the hospital, HRG persues Sylar and Elle into a supermarket, the hospital staff freak on Mrs HRG and call the cops because Claire's infection is not normal, HRG kills Sylar with a box knife, Claire dies in the hospital.....What is that, a couple of hours worth or real time events? In the real world totality at any given location can never be more than 7 1/2 minutes.&nbsp;The key to enjoying any science fiction show is suspension of disbelief, especially for someone who has any sort of science background or interest in the sciences. But some days...some days simple suspension isn't enough. Some days you have to stalk your disbelief while it's feeding on tabloid headlines in the supermarket, hit it with tranquilizer darts, tie it up tight before it wakes up, gag it so it can't scream and disturb you, and stuff it in the hallway closet. And if the program is something which is written so skillfully that you actually care for the characters, identify with their motivations, you will do this willingly.&nbsp;See, I was watching Heroes and I was thinking "Man, that's some eclipse." I was fully aware that from a scientific perspective it was completely impossible. But I couldn't have cared less because I was enjoying the story. <br />Posted by thebigcat</DIV></p><p>Lol, I know.&nbsp; Sometimes (maybe a lot of times) my brain keeps trying to break in with a "what the..."&nbsp; I guess the comic book store must be right next to the corn field, since Matt had no problem getting there in 7 min. (and back).<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts