Hollywood, where's the bleeping story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a_lost_packet_

Where's the bleeping story in Sci Fi today?

(This is one of those PM inspired posts, some of which is an exerpt.)

You know, people get taught what to like and not like. As soon as anyone throws some pasty skinned drama up on the screen, complete with 'splosions and a few lines of ill-conceived dialogue, people today scream "OSCAR!"

It's nauseating.

The worst movies today happen to be those that hide behind special effects and CGI. It's as if movie-goers don't realize that CGI doesn't equal "good movie." They're so inundated with crap that whenever a scene in a movie "doesn't suck" they think that means the whole thing is a work of art. It's as if as long as there is one line in a movie that doesn't immediately make the audience throw up, the whole thing is some sort of masterpiece of fiction.

Readers are ruthless critics. But, movie-goers could give a lump of brown stuff less if there was any reason to see a movie besides the marketing hype it generated. That bugs me. BOTH are mediums in which someone crafts and presents a story. In a novel, a reader might get turned off after ten minutes of reading a scene that just doesn't quite do it for them. But, they'll calmly sit in a movie theater while being assaulted by hokey visuals and crappy storyline, just in hopes of seeing something "cool."

What the heck is wrong with us? Something like "Moby Dick" gets crapped on by teens&tweens because "It's boring" when the fact is it's a darn exciting story. But, "Twilight" will have bajillions of kids gushing over themselves and they don't even realize its hackneyed, shallow and meaningless plot. That young audience is capable of recognizing a good story! I know. Once upon a time, I was one of them.

Hollywood is cultivating an audience that doesn't care about a story or about wonderfully written scenes and riveting acting. They want audiences that crave 'splosions and CGI because then all they have to do is "Add Money" and they'll be assured of a hit. No soul, no creativity, no meaning is required. Just add a few 'splosions and CGI aliens and press "Play" and then you can collect your cash...

Some time ago, I was in a bookstore searching for a copy of "Grimm's Fairy Tales". Mine has long since been missing, probably snatched by some woodland witch up to no good. After searching in all the likely places, at least the ones I thought likely, I finally roped a clerk to help me dig up a copy. Thankfully, he was familiar with the title.. But, that had nothing to do with him having read it. He looked it up on the 'puter and told me they had several copies.. of the Comic Book/Graphic Novel.. Huh? Graphic Novel? What? I want the BOOK! Not some artist's watercolor collection.

So, we tracked it down. It turns out that they did have two copies done by two different houses. After an extensive search, we found them buried in a one-rack section having something vaguely to do with mythology or some such. During our quest, the clerk happily chatted about the graphic novel and the delights found within while telling me how inspiring it was to speak to customers and get different opinions on all sorts of books. So, since most of you have know me here for several years, I'm sure you realize that it was impossible for me not to tell him my opinion.. :)

Predictably, I politely mentioned that while I admire some of the work that good writers and artists do, I couldn't help but humbugging the whole idea of such a translation. It's just not going to do the job. It's not the same, no matter how cool the pictures are. Stories aren't about pictures. Artists can relate a scene with their paintings. But, stories are much more than just connected scenes. The whole point is to tell a story, not just sling some paint. Only a true master can tell a story with a painting and that is a very, very rare thing. Grimm's is valuable for it's downright shocking and frank depiction of the cultural myths, legends and simply disturbing stories contained in European folklore... and, it's a darn fine work of short stories...

The clerk asked me what my interest was in Grimm's. I asked him what kids' interest was in "Twilight." He explained some of the story and why kids liked it, admitting that he thought it was all a bit of foolishness. A few bits and pieces later detailing werewolves, vampires and teen angst, I pointed to the windows of the store and night soaked parking lot and said "Do you know why people are afraid of the dark?" I shook a copy of Germany's gift to popular horror and fiction. "It's because of this. If you want to know more, read it."

The point is that all the junk that gets thrown onto the screen in Science Fiction movies today is simply useless garbage if it doesn't help tell the story. Worse, it's actually distracting if there is any hope of a story to be realized in the movie. If recent films are any indication, it seems Hollywood has had its full dose of Kool Aid and is only interested in making blockbuster pictures that focus on 'splosions, CGI and stories crafted to do nothing more than set up the next action sequence.

Are there any recent, true Science Fiction/Fantasy stories out there that have any real story in them that's worth the attention they get? If so, slap your suggestion up here and let's argue about it. :D

PS - You're also quite welcome to tell me I'm full of poo if you don't agree with my pretentious argument.

M

MeteorWayne

I love it when you get on a righteous roll... and as usual you are right!

J

JasonChapman

I read michael crichton's 'Sphere' quite a long time ago, it was a thorough good read, until that is they brought out the film.

A

a_lost_packet_

MeteorWayne":46iwcwfq said:
I love it when you get on a righteous roll... and as usual you are right!

On my tombstone, the subscript will be entitled "Righteous Indignation" and the short few paragraphs that follow will be me ranting about the injustice of being dead... :D

C

Couerl

Last night I watched; The day the Earth Stood Still, for the umpteenth time and the 12 year old got up at the start and went downstairs to play on the x-box because he "didn't like that movie". The minute he saw it was black and white he knew it wasn't "any good". :lol:

C

CalliArcale

It's one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. I did not watch the remake, and have no intention of ever doing so. You can't do it without Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal. Or plenty of theremin. ;)

Story is missing from a lot of sci-fi movies, but this is not actually a new phenomenon. Crappy sci-fi movies go waaaaaay back, though to be fair, most of the crappy ones fifty years ago were also extremely cheap. But that's not to say there weren't story-lite epic FX extravaganzas back then. They just weren't usually sci-fi extravaganzas. They were usually historical or mythological dramas. Sci-fi had yet to go mainstream. The prevalance of big-buck sci-fi FX extravaganzas with craptacular plotlines is, I think, a good sign -- it means science fiction isn't just for geeks anymore. It's for everybody.

D

docm

CalliArcale":25m0fnb3 said:
It's one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. I did not watch the remake, and have no intention of ever doing so. You can't do it without Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal. Or plenty of theremin. ;)
You didn't miss one damned thing :mad:

A

a_lost_packet_

docm":379xcjia said:
...You didn't miss one damned thing :mad:

Absolutely. The entire movie was centered around Keano's "grim and foreboding" acting class project.

But, the film grossed over 230 million dollars...

You know, one of the problems with the whole movie industry is that you purchase their products "up front." It's like going to a carnival or a store that sells "grab bags" and paying a minimal fee in hopes of getting the one or two really special prizes they've hidden away. But, if you lose and end up with an eraser shaped like a farm animal and a peanut butter cup, at least you can eat the peanut butter cup.

If you lose at the theater, you've spent an ever increasing amount of money and several hours of you life for absolutely nothing. In some cases, less than nothing. Luckily, I didn't see it in the theater.

I watched it at home where I already pay my cable provider exorbitant fees to pump 1000 channels of streaming crap into my television set.

D

doom_shepherd

a_lost_packet_":28hg3d1u said:
Where's the bleeping story in Sci Fi today?

Something like "Moby Dick" gets crapped on by teens&tweens because "It's boring" when the fact is it's a darn exciting story.

Wait, the BOOK "Moby Dick," with its interminable treatises on whaling, or one of the Moby Dick movies? (The fact that they've made more than one rather demonstrating its staying power.)

Some time ago, I was in a bookstore searching for a copy of "Grimm's Fairy Tales". Mine has long since been missing, probably snatched by some woodland witch up to no good. After searching in all the likely places, at least the ones I thought likely, I finally roped a clerk to help me dig up a copy. Thankfully, he was familiar with the title.. But, that had nothing to do with him having read it. He looked it up on the 'puter and told me they had several copies.. of the Comic Book/Graphic Novel.. Huh? Graphic Novel? What? I want the BOOK! Not some artist's watercolor collection.
Too bad, I rather like Zenescope's "Grimm's Fairy Tales," with its graphic retellings (and historical updatings) of the old Grimm stories, PLUS an overarching backstory, PLUS scantily-clad women. It really has something for everyone.

That said, it is my firm belief that the fact that "Firefly" only had 14 episodes, (2 of them unaired), while "The Bachelor" has lasted for 14 SEASONS. is one of the most damning pieces of evidence that the Galactic Council's Supreme Prosecutor will present against humanity when they debate the question of whether we should be blown up before we spread.

D

docm

doom_shepherd":3r1ca1lt said:
>
That said, it is my firm belief that the fact that "Firefly" only had 14 episodes, (2 of them unaired), while "The Bachelor" has lasted for 14 SEASONS. is one of the most damning pieces of evidence that the Galactic Council's Supreme Prosecutor will present against humanity when they debate the question of whether we should be blown up before we spread.
AGREED!!!!!

Firefly was one of the best shows I've seen in ages, and when you consider I've been around since Captain Video and George Reeves version of Superman were first run & that I listened to The Lone Ranger on radio, that's saying something.

D

drwayne

JasonChapman":gprzh44m said:
I read michael crichton's 'Sphere' quite a long time ago, it was a thorough good read, until that is they brought out the film.

Funny story on me. I had seen bits and pieces of the movie, and thought it wasn't very good. At random, I picked the book
up on sale, and did not connect it to the movie I saw. Reading the book, I thought, this story is good, they should make
a movie out of it.

D

drwayne

CalliArcale":2juep0ig said:

I am a total mark for Michael Rennie. I even have the two part "Lost In Space" episode "The Keeper" in which he guest stars
on my iPhone. He has a way with his voice and manner of drawing your attention, but at the same time, he doesn't
distract you from the character.

Contrast the Reeves, who has a presence to be sure, but I see him instead of the character.

Older movies have to rely on subtlety to get points across, even big ones. Today, we have special effects that do that for us.
Are we really better off...

F

frodo1008

I may be crazy to buck the trend here, but I have seen far too many terrible SCI-FI movies that actually had pretty good stories and then were ruined by terrible special affects!

Heck, I go so far as to admit that I think the Warhammer 40K books are absolutely terrific, especially when written by Dan Abnett, and I am certain that there is a somewhat elitist group here that considers this just writing for adolescent boys.

Tell me, oh eminently wise people, just how many of the more important academy awards (actors, directors, and total movies) have EVER been awarded to SCI-FI and fantasy films. Outside of the recent awards to "The Lord of The Rings" which was (at least in my opinion) the greatest cinematic achievement of all time.

"The Day The Earth Stood Still", "Forbidden Planet", "2001". and especially the first "Star Wars" movies in 1977, NONE won any of the more important academy awards. Good grief the Academy Awards picked a Woody Allen movie over Star Wars in 1977 as the best picture of the year, and you can not pay me enough money to even see a Woody Allen movie to this day!

I must admit to being an escapist, and I am proud of that! I do NOT go to the movies or watch television to experience the miseries of real life, I am LIVING real life, and that is quite enough thank you!! When I put money down, I want to be entertained, and that means being taken out of real life (I obviously do not watch too much "Reality" TV), and absolutely nothing spoils that like poor special affects. So, in general the trend towards more and more realistic CGI affects is truly fantastic. Now, this does mean that such affects must appear realistic even though they are portraying non realistic worlds, in that respect I do want reality!

And I thought that "AVATAR" was truly a great movie. And it has been said that it absolutely could NOT have been made without the newest CGI affects, and this is true.

The absolute ideal is to have a truly great story, producers that do not skimp on things, a director that truly understands and even somewhat venerates that story, great casting and actors that fit their parts like a glove, and finally, truly realistic and eye popping special affects. How many times in the history of the cinema and TV has that happened???

The great classic SCI-FI and fantasy movies (anybody even see the 1930's edition of "Midsummer's Night Dream"?)
and such modern epics as the last three "Star Wars" (unfortunately the newest three were indeed an example of truly terrific special affects with relatively week other movie elements, but they were still at least somewhat fun to watch), all three "Lord of The Rings", and such new movies as "Avatar" are to me the epitome of movie making!

Of course I am also such an escapist that I extensively play "World of Warcraft" online, and am looking forwards with eager anticipation to "Cataclysm". I also am greatly exited about an entirely CGI movie called "Ultramarines" coming out next month for we adolescent boys (and some 68 year old grandfathers like myself) that love 40K warfare. I do not even think that this is going to be generally released in the theaters, so it certainly will not be winning any "Artistic" awards, but I could care less, it will indeed transport me out of this relatively miserable terrorist news ridden existence for at least 75 minutes, so hurray for CGI affects!!!

And I absolutely LOVE Hollywood endings where the good guys win. How often does that actually happen in real life?

Well, so much for my somewhat counter rant here.

PS: May the "Great Green Dragons of True Imagination" stomp on most vastly overpaid movie critics!

Have A Great Day Everybody! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts