How can I contact Leland D. Melvin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fatal291

I've been searching google for the past 15 minutes trying to find his email address or some type of direct contact. I'm sick of calling NASA to hear the same stuff. I've gone to my local science museum countless times trying to get some information and they are complete idiots when it comes to anything than the actual building. I am trying to get into Astronomy, I'm sick of joking around and being told "Make sure your take math in hs." I already know this, I already am. So you are wondering why I want to contact Leland D. Melvin? Well he is from my actual city and I would like to figure out how he made it into NASA with so many goofballs in the education systems. I hope he could point me to some more direct locations and not just in general material. I'm at the point where i REALLY want to do this now. So If you know how or where I can get his info at it would be helpful thanks,.

M

MeteorWayne

With that attitude, you're going to go far. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

F

fatal291

yeah well if you were looking for some help for about 3 years and got no where you'd be a little pissed off too. You guys make it sound so easy. I called the Science Museum of Virginia and they made me feel like an idiot for asking about astronomy. The closest answer they could give me was to come to the crappy one hour planetarium they have ONCE A MONTH, then when I do go the guy takes 10 minutes each slide because he has no idea how to find the southern hemisphere on the machine.<br /><br />This area has no real education for Astronomy and I'm sick of it. Richmond is well known for Bio-Tech like with MCV and VCU but really thats it. I just want to ask this guy where he went and how did he make it. I'm hoping he is diffrent because like ive said I've talked to NASA officials and they all tell me the same thing. To take math and science. You can't even pass grade school without taking math and science so I'm like DUH. I don't have an attitude I know more could and should be done about this situation.<br /><br /><br />Don't believe me? http://smv.org/<br /><br />Go ahead call them when they are open and ask them what do they have for Astronomy by being the Science Museum of the whole state of Virginia and watch what they tell you. On the site is nothng but a bunch of downloadable garbage i can get from an Astronomy magazine article.

M

MeteorWayne

HEY, that job's taken!<br /><br />Meteor Wayne, GC <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

I don't think I can help with contacting Mr. Melvin, but you might find out some good info through:<br /><br />http://www.astronomyclubs.com/1/190/48/0/club.aspx<br /><br />The link above give a list of clubs in your area. I'm sure most may simply be backyard atronomers, but you might get lucky and get some good info on which paths to take.<br /><br />As for courses of study? <br /><br />You should make every effort to advance through advanced geometry/algebra courses and probably trigonometry in high school. You will probably be required to be ready for calculus as a prereq. <br /><br />As for science in high school? Good luck. I'm not sure how much high school's these days offer for science courses. I would hope you can advance into some general physics classes and don't overlook chemistry. These should prepare you for college requirements into areas such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, general relativity, electromagnetism and other physics courses along these lines.<br /><br />Have you tried contacting your local university or any university you are interested in? Might try there, too... I'm sure they can offer better advice than myself. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

T

tfwthom

Things I would try (other then complaning) <br /><br />Send an e-mail <br />Public Communications and <br />Inquiries Management Office<br />NASA Headquarters<br />Suite 1M32<br />Washington, DC 20546-0001<br />(202) 358-0001 (Office)<br />(202) 358-3469 (Fax)<br />public-inquiries@hq.nasa.gov<br /><br />Try the phone book for his parents His parents Deems and Grace Melvin, reside in Lynchburg, Virginia.<br /><br />Try the UofV Engineering Alum Contact Us - Write a letter, Send a Note, Share Your News! By email: vef-info@virginia.edu, by fax: (434) 982-2734, by mail: P.O. Box 400256, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, 22904-4256 or use our online contact form.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

F

fatal291

i didnt want to stalk the guy jeez, i just wanted a smiple email address or something but thanks for the stuff anyway i guess ill have to do what it takes hehe

M

MeteorWayne

Well you spent 15 minutes googling for an e-mail address before you made the original post in this thread. A number of people made some exceptional efforts to help you.<br /><br />Don't stalk, be grateful, and use what these folks have given you. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

blazincajun

Good luck in your career. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts