How dense is a comets tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oklahoman

<p>Can the tail of a comet cast a shadow?</p><p>If a comet passed between the earth and the sun, could it block the sun for a few days?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Yes, I know that the sun is many times the size of a comets tail.&nbsp; But I also know that a comets tail is much larger than the earth.</p><p>&nbsp;It would have to come close to the earth on the sun side at just the right angle to cause a lasting shadow. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Can the tail of a comet cast a shadow?If a comet passed between the earth and the sun, could it block the sun for a few days?&nbsp;Yes, I know that the sun is many times the size of a comets tail.&nbsp; But I also know that a comets tail is much larger than the earth.&nbsp;It would have to come close to the earth on the sun side at just the right angle to cause a lasting shadow. <br />Posted by oklahoman</DIV></p><p>It would not be dense enough to block the sun. In fact, by earth standards, it would qualify as a pretty good vaccuum.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Can the tail of a comet cast a shadow?If a comet passed between the earth and the sun, could it block the sun for a few days?&nbsp;Yes, I know that the sun is many times the size of a comets tail.&nbsp; But I also know that a comets tail is much larger than the earth.&nbsp;It would have to come close to the earth on the sun side at just the right angle to cause a lasting shadow. <br /> Posted by oklahoman</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>We just flew a craft through a comet's coma recently and only picked up microscopic particles along with a small handful of slight larger ones.&nbsp; Not nearly dense enough as MW pointed out.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts