how do you figure your latitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jc74

I am new to Astronomy, and would I would like to know how to figure out my latitude. I live in Palm Springs, Ca. Much thanks

V

vogon13

Do you have a friend or neighbour with a GPS unit ? Just take to location and turn it on.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

I suppose it wouldn't be too easy, but angle between Polaris and point directly overhead would be accurate to a degree or so (assuming you figure directly overhead point accurately).<br /><br />Or subtract elevation of Polaris at your location from 90 degrees. It would be close.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

T

tony873004

Your latitude is North 33.8 or 33.9 degrees depending on what part of Palm Springs you are in.

V

vogon13

I think all that Polaris stuff is backwards. Sorry.<br /><br />Angle of Polaris above horizon is your latitude within a degree.<br /><br />Crap, there goes my infallability for the month award.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

J

jc74

thank you for your advice, im still learning all the terms of astronomy, but i think i know what your saying and will try it. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts