How SpaceX's historic Polaris Dawn private spacewalk will work

"If all goes according to plan, the third Polaris flight will be the first-ever crewed mission of Starship,"

Now I am beginning to wonder how intimately Isaacman is being integrated into SpaceX's future. I had been thinking "space tourism" when I have been reading about his "Polaris Dawn" missions. But, testing SpaceX EVA suits and having a crew of SpaceX engineers seems pretty far removed from tourism. And being the first fight crew on a StarShip seems like an integral part of SpaceX's development program. Which makes it seem strange that Isaacman is funding the 3 missions. Is he getting stock, or is this all gratis from a guy who really wants to be an astronaut?

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
It may not be space tourism their after, but the quest for Mars. Like Isaacman said, 'maybe a later interation of this suit will be used on Mars'. So, this may all be in preparation for that. Also, it may not be stock he's after, but to tag along with Elon to land and create the first colony on Mars. What more could you ask for?

Feb 29, 2024
Visit site
Isaacman really got SpaceX to push the limits, I believe it was Isaacman that insisted on getting Crew Dragon to go beyond the safety of the Van Allen belt thus expanding the envelop of Crew Dragon, including modifications required for a possible lunar mission, This could even lead to Lunar flyby capability as the heatshield from the outset was designed to survive re-entry close to that velocity. Crew Dragon also was designed with up to 10 day flight duration.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
the orbital illustration at the SpaceX Polaris Dawn page
shows an east to west configuration path.
is that accurate ?
- - - -
the EVA is scheduled for September 12 at 02:23 ET (September 11 23:23 PT/ 0623 GMT)
live webcast will begin about one hour prior on www.spacex.com

Not to mention that a retrograde orbit would mean that other orbiting objects are coming at you at twice orbital velocity, so much less warning time for maneuvering to avoid collisions. And, there would be a lot of things coming at you, rather than going with you and a few getting too close for comfort.

Think of it as driving the wrong way on a crowded highway instead of going with traffic on the same highway.

Reactions: josefnspace

Latest posts