HST spies Asteroid Belt collision?? P/2010 A2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubble Space Telescope spots Asteroidal Collision in the Asteroid Belt?

The first ever seen.

The lack of volatiles seen in the debris suggests two tiny asteroids collided very recently, possibly since the New Year.

The Main Belt asteroid seen here is only approx 140 metres wide.

hs-2010-07-a-web_print.jpg

Close up below.
hs-2010-07-c-web.jpg

Andrew Brown.

E

EarthlingX

Wow :cool:

I thought this collisions would be much slower than that, more like a slow orbit, which finishes with a soft touch :
(from the above article)
This leaves open the possibility that the complex debris tail is the result of an impact between two bodies rather than ices from a parent body simply turning into vapor. Asteroid collisions are energetic, with an average impact speed over 11,000 miles per hour (5 km/s, or five times faster than a rifle bullet).
Such hit would have to be very accurate, i think.

Could WISE take a look ?

S

silylene

Andrew, thanks. This collision is spectacular.

Looks like the claw of an eagle, reaching from the heavens!

A

allant

New P/2010 A2 Asteroid or Comet?

Hello All,

Well I came here hoping to find the co-ordinates so I could try a few photos of it myself but it is newly discovered. If anyone knows the general location that would be a great help!

Anyway here is the link from NASA that the Hubble happened to capture! That thing takes some great photos!

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/asteroid-20100202.html

Clear Skies!
Ted

M

MeteorWayne

Re: New P/2010 A2 Asteroid or Comet?

It is by definition a comet (note the P/ designation...that means a periodic comet)

To find out how to photograph or see it from here, go to this page:

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=P ... ;cad=0#orb

Select the Ephemeris link near the bottom and carefully fill out all the selection boxes for your location and the time you want to oberve. It will give you the coordinates in RA and Dec and UTC time.

I wouldn't expect much, since the coma is mostly visible in IR, but give it a try!

Wayne

A

allant

Hey Thanks MeteorWayne,

That was great info their! Well it's at MAG 15.5 so I am not going to keep my hopes up. I Might be able to get something under great conditions but nothing like the Hubble has already. :D

Thanks again though for the link information!

Ted

M

MeteorWayne

No Problem, it's what I do :)

T

tydyeinc

this helped me out as a matter o' fact, thanks fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.