HUGE meteor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iamk423n

At around 5:15am EST tues aug 12 2008 in PA USA we saw a Giant blue streak in the sky below the Pleides. It was long and very very bright, extremely thick, went out suddenly but left a trail that lasted about ten seconds.  The trail it left was not straight it was wavy.  Did anyone else see this? Was it a meteor? Do meteors leave wiggley trails?  We didn't hear anything.  We've never seen anything this bright/long/large.  Some help would be nice, thanks.

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>At around 5:15am EST tues aug 12 2008 in PA USA we saw a Giant blue streak in the sky below the Pleides. It was long and very very bright, extremely thick, went out suddenly but left a trail that lasted about ten seconds.&nbsp; The trail it left was not straight it was wavy.&nbsp; Did anyone else see this? Was it a meteor? Do meteors leave wiggley trails?&nbsp; We didn't hear anything.&nbsp; We've never seen anything this bright/long/large.&nbsp; Some help would be nice, thanks. <br />Posted by iamk423n</DIV></p><p>It sounds like you saw a large (<span style="font-size:8.5pt;font-family:Verdana">perhaps as big as a pencil eraser)&nbsp;Perseid meteor. Your observations are consistant with a large meteor that survived a significant part of it's flight through the atmosphere.</span></p><p><span style="font-size:8.5pt;font-family:Verdana">http://www.space.com/spacewatch/080811-perseid-meteors.html</span></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It sounds like you saw a large (perhaps as big as a pencil eraser)&nbsp;Perseid meteor. Your observations are consistant with a large meteor that survived a significant part of it's flight through the atmosphere.http://www.space.com/spacewatch/080811-perseid-meteors.html <br /> Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>And it sounds like a beautiful one!&nbsp; You are a lucky stargazer, iamk423n!&nbsp; I didn't see any Perseids at all where I live; it's been sunny and gorgeous (and almost a drought) for a week -- then last night it clouded up and drizzled. *pouts*&nbsp; So I'm jealous. ;-)</p><p>Good for you, iamk423n!&nbsp; Those kinds of really spectacular meteors are uncommon.&nbsp; Very cool! </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>At around 5:15am EST tues aug 12 2008 in PA USA we saw a Giant blue streak in the sky below the Pleides. It was long and very very bright, extremely thick, went out suddenly but left a trail that lasted about ten seconds.&nbsp; The trail it left was not straight it was wavy.&nbsp; Did anyone else see this? Was it a meteor? Do meteors leave wiggley trails?&nbsp; We didn't hear anything.&nbsp; We've never seen anything this bright/long/large.&nbsp; Some help would be nice, thanks. <br />Posted by iamk423n</DIV><br /><br />Unfortunately, my observations ended at 5 AM when the sky became too bright to record scientific data.</p><p>I did see a very bright Perseid fireball at 4:44 AM which left a glowing trail that became wavy over time as upper level winds distorted it.</p><p>BTW, 139 Perseids out of 174 total meteors in just about 5 hours between midnight and 5AM.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Unfortunately, my observations ended at 5 AM when the sky became too bright to record scientific data.I did see a very bright Perseid fireball at 4:44 AM which left a glowing trail that became wavy over time as upper level winds distorted it.BTW, 139 Perseids out of 174 total meteors in just about 5 hours between midnight and 5AM. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>I'm even more jealous now.&nbsp; We've been in a mild drought here, and FINALLY got some rain.&nbsp; It clouded up Monday night, and by Tuesday morning it was raining.&nbsp; Rained off and on all day and most of the night.&nbsp; It finally cleared up overnight, but after all that rain, we had pea-soup fog until the sun got high enough to wipe most of it away. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts