Humans in space

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arkady

I think Frodo's point is that a super asteroid <i>is</i> going to hit Earth. If an actual self-sustaining colony could take centuries to develop, it would make sense to start asap. I really can't see why that should be so hard to accept.<br /><br />(edited my last post btw) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> "<font color="#0000ff"><em>The choice is the Universe, or nothing</em> ... </font>" - H.G Wells </div>

F

frodo1008

Actually if some such large asteroid was going to hit the earth I would want both me and my family to be directly in its path. Simply and almost intantaneously ceasing to exist is not a bad way to leave this existance. On the other hand fighting my fellow humans for the last edible food left on an entire world devastated by such an event has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. I do not fear death nearly as much as pain and boredom!!<br /><br />Not only that, but just exactly how do you think you are going to survive? Such an event would devastate the entire earth, not just your ouw little part of it. No fueL, elcectricity, food, or even shelter. The fallout from the destruction of such an asteroid would raise the temperature of the earth to hundreds of degrees, hop into the oven and feel the heat!!!

S

scottb50

Then why wait to find a way to avoid that? I seriously doubt the Moon or Mars are really answers, neither could sustain human indefinitly. Perhaps the best solution is figuring a way to counter such an event rather than abandoning ship.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

arkady

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>I seriously doubt the Moon or Mars are really answers, neither could sustain human indefinitly.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I have no problems envisioning a self-sustaining Mars colony. It would surely represent a major setback of civilization considering the diversity of Earth, but with respect to survival as a species I'd consider it probable.<br /><br />Why should we abandon ship just because we could survive elsewhere. I'm not talking mass exodus here. Certainly the 6 billion+ earthlings would have every incentive of saving their planet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> "<font color="#0000ff"><em>The choice is the Universe, or nothing</em> ... </font>" - H.G Wells </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts