hypernovas

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mech52

hi i am new and i am wondering what is a hypernova?<br /><br />i have heard of them but dont know what they are<br /><br />the explanation of them on the science channel did not help me.

Q

qso1

Eta Carinae is an example of a possible hypernova and has been recorded in 1830 I think as being as bright as or brighter than Sirius before dimming again and I believe there was a report on some brightening in 2001 but I cannot recall where I saw that.<br /><br />This star is on the order of 7,500 to 8,000 Ly distant and best viewed from the southern hemisphere. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

D

dark_energy

Had Eta Carinae been 9 light-years away, it would easily sterilise the earth of all life if it goes the way of a hypernova.<br /><br />Just wait till the Pistol Star goes hyper. =P <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts