I have a question about telescope storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

symbolite

I recently got a very late christmas present that turned out to be a telescope. I have an idea of where i want to keep it when im not using it, but the room in the winter time gets very cold. Probably as cold as it is outside (like right now its probably 20 F in the room&nbsp;and during the summer it can get up to 80-90 F easy on hot days. Are temperatures like these bad? We rarly use the room so temperatures probably won't be changing super fast during the course of the day. Its just that the room goes from one extreme to the other during the course of a year. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I recently got a very late christmas present that turned out to be a telescope. I have an idea of where i want to keep it when im not using it, but the room in the winter time gets very cold. Probably as cold as it is outside (like right now its probably 20 F in the room&nbsp;and during the summer it can get up to 80-90 F easy on hot days. Are temperatures like these bad? We rarly use the room so temperatures probably won't be changing super fast during the course of the day. Its just that the room goes from one extreme to the other during the course of a year. <br />Posted by symbolite</DIV><br /><br />My advice (I'm not an expert) is that the room is fine for winter. It won't hurt the scope, and the idea is to keep the scope as close to ambient temperature as possible so you don't have to wait as long for it to cool. In the summer, I would probably not leave it in that room because once you take it outside at night it will take hours for it to cool enough for optimum perfomance.</p><p>What Kind of scope is it, BTW? I mean what style. A refractor, a dobsonian reflector, a closed tube reflector? That might also make a bit of difference.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

billslugg

<p>Here is&nbsp;one problem. In the spring, you will get an extended period of very cold weather, and then a warm moist air mass will show up. The stored object will be below the new dew point and will get condensation on it. This&nbsp;can be&nbsp;bad for an aluminized surface (reflector) or coated surface (refractor), as CO2 from the air will make the condensation acidic (carbonic acid) and can etch the coating.&nbsp;The scope should be sealed from contact with&nbsp;moist air by enclosing in a plastic bag&nbsp;and&nbsp;protected from rapid temperature changes by&nbsp;a&nbsp;blanket.</p><p>A fanatic would then get a half pound or so of dessicant,&nbsp;activate it in an oven and seal it in with the scope.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Here is&nbsp;one problem. In the spring, you will get an extended period of very cold weather, and then a warm moist air mass will show up. The stored object will be below the new dew point and will get condensation on it. This&nbsp;can be&nbsp;bad for an aluminized surface (reflector) or coated surface (refractor), as CO2 from the air will make the condensation acidic (carbonic acid) and can etch the coating.&nbsp;The scope should be sealed from contact with&nbsp;moist air by enclosing in a plastic bag&nbsp;and&nbsp;protected from rapid temperature changes by&nbsp;a&nbsp;blanket.A fanatic would then get a half pound or so of dessicant,&nbsp;activate it in an oven and seal it in with the scope.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by billslugg</DIV><br /><br />Thta's a really good idea. Not sure if it's practical for my 4+ foot long 10" dob, but I'll see how big a plastic bag I can find.</p><p>Definately not practical for the NJAA's 26" scope :)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

R

rubicondsrv

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>. <br />Posted by symbolite</DIV><br /><br />you're going to want to change that avatar.</p><p>(if you don't it will be removed)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

symbolite

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>you're going to want to change that avatar.(if you don't it will be removed)&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by rubicondsrv</DIV><br /><br />umm sure, but why? whats wrong with it all of a sudden? ive been posting with it since the start of this account pretty much and no other moderator ever said anything...</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>back on topic</p><p>I went to the company website for the telescope to find mine because i wasn't sure what it was because im a newbie at this. I can't seem to find my model there but i found one that is extremly similiar to mine (same size, has all the same components and looks exactly the same). Its a reflector telescope.</p><p>&nbsp;Here is the link to the products page.</p><p>http://galileosplace.com/Telescopes/Reflector_Telescopes/hqr-800.html</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Saiph

<p>MW, Target, during christmas time anyway, does sell plastic 'gift bags' capable of wrapping a bike in.&nbsp; So if you keep your eyes open (and check gift wrapping sections?) you may just find a bag large enough for you. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts