I need help to test my astrophotgraphy application/project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

larrylart

Hi,

You can check a preview of my project at: http://larryo.org/work/information/unimap/index.html

astrophotography.jpg

constellation.jpg

match_step_8.jpg

I started this project back in 2004 as I realize that more and more people get into astrophotography but most will go no further then framing nice pictures. So I thought that it will be good to have a simple to use tool to allow amateur astronomers to do plate-solving(detect and match your image against star catalogs), so they can explore and learn more about these marvelous images so I started to develop this project. Now after literally tens of thousands of development hours you can just load your astrophoto and in a few clicks learn almost everything is known about your image, what are the stars, galaxies, nebulas, radio sources, x-ray/gamma bursts, supernovas, extra solar planets or asteroids, comets and even artificial earth satellites passing through. Also, you can get more advanced information like various measurements available (including spectral) and links to articles/abstracts talking about objects and/in that area in the sky.

On top of that I added several tool to help amateur astronomer to better plan his observing session like an on click collection of environmental/weather data, instruments management/control and also an online collaboration interface to allow amateur astronomers to easily exchange/review the data.

Anyone interested to help me test it and/or feedback will be appreciated!

Larry

L

larrylart

Re: Anyone here willing to help me test my project?

Also, two other things I forgot to mention.

My future plans with this project is to release it free and opensource (for windows, linux and perhaps macosx)… if all goes well, I mean if people show interest in it and it’s workable and from there I might be looking for sponsorship at some point to support a big central database though which amateur astronomers from all over the world can share image resolved with astrometry data etc.

The project is written in c++/wxwidgets (cross platform gui library) and that means it can be compiled on other platforms such as linux/mac/etc. Most functionality will work except for the digital cameras interface (and for Mac I am not sure about the video interface either) which is for the moment is windows only. So if people are interested in a Linux or Mac osX release please let me know!

Larry

A

a_lost_packet_

You know, this kind of thing might be nice to bundle along with "Starry Night" software. You might want to see if they have an interest. http://www.starrynight.com/

You may want to post this in the Astrophotography section of the forums. It may get a lot more attention there. Or, you could ask a mod to move this thread there.

J

jgrtmp

Nice project & it seems to have gone well. This can be valuable for more than the meer star gazer. You need to get with the PIGWADS personel, or some other projects, to somehow see if yor not reinventing the wheel. If not they wil be very interested in it for other software. You may have a good inside to some GIS companies here. I think you should exploit leads to make this endeavor finance itself if not deliver a profit. Seek out Company leads for add ons to packages they use. Without giving away details, label names never have to be dead on acurate unless your tagging deep space. Even then that renders thought for future direction of your detailing. If you are reinventing, they may be able to give you pointers to other colaborative software to help expedite or inspire you...

A

aphh

Congratulations for such a nice work!

I had this same idea about a year or two ago and I actually started to figure out the celestial sphere coordinate system and algorithms to do star tracking based on the angular separation of known stars. Your software might also work as the basis of a startracker on a spacecraft to help orientate the craft. Obviously there are many such products on the market, but they can be very expensive and certainly not in the public domain.

I will be more than happy to test your program, if you need a tester. But I do not steal your work. In fact, there is likely going to be no need to compete with your comprehensive product, so I could start to think and develop another ideas.

F

Fallingstar1971

I would be interested in testing it as well. You seem to have incorporated some great functionality there.

Let me know

And even if not, if you publish it, let me know that as well, as well as download info.....

But for now, your screenshots are looking GREAT

Star

L

larrylart

I appologize for the delay as my life got sligthly complicated lately. On top of that my pc crashed last week - I think the cpu is screwed (it will power off as soon as it gets even a little load) and the only way around it was to under-clock it to 1ghz and 0.7v and now I will have to install everything.

You can download and test the very first pre-alpha release from here:

http://larryo.org/work/information/unim ... p_pa_0.exe

I know there is still room for of improvements, optimization, etc. "Unfortunately" I have built this application so big and I got so little time lately that I should probably focus on getting the core functionality working right and here any suggestions and ideas will really help.

It is copiled on XP. On windows 7 there it seems that you might encounter crashes (mostly due to io permisions) – I will get them fixed as soon as I will get some time.

Larry

L

larrylart

A new update has been released with:

- fixed windows 7 premissions problems
- updated the star common names list with a better one
- added extension files one and two to tycho2
- added map for common names with tycho2
- fixed 2mass catalog names display error
- fixed show/hide all objects from menu->view objects
- fixed search in spiral - which is now set default as it's faster (instead of swipe)
- added a simple method to check/notify on updates
- some other minor bug fixes

Also there is a forum on the site to discuss more in depth the technical problems.

Anyone here tried the application yet?

Larry

R

ravnostic

I've downloaded the application and am currently working with a shot which includes most of Scorpio. I'm on Vista, though, and while it 'detects' it won't 'match'. Crashes on me. I instructed it to know that Antares is in the FOV.

L

larrylart

ravnostic":21goxtlq said:
I've downloaded the application and am currently working with a shot which includes most of Scorpio. I'm on Vista, though, and while it 'detects' it won't 'match'. Crashes on me. I instructed it to know that Antares is in the FOV.

I haven't test it yet on vista ... only on xp/7. can you email that image at unimap a_t larryo.org ?

R

ravnostic

larrylart":34xu183t said:
ravnostic":34xu183t said:

I haven't test it yet on vista ... only on xp/7. can you email that image at unimap a_t larryo.org ?

Sent a couple, from rav a_t ravnostic d_0t c0m.

Found on 'Cygnus' it detects objects, but won't name them. Unless I'm doing something wrong and just don't see it. Images are through a Canon Rebel XTi, which isn't among the zillion choices your software offers (I must have gotten the most uncommon Canon on the market).

Also, I'm noting today that perhaps I needed to 'download' the catalogs; am doing so now, will advise if that's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts