I Want To Go To School

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GoodVibrations

Hello everyone.

I am a 21 year old boy who loves space and science with a passion. For as long as I can remember I have looked up at the stars and our moon and wondered what was going on with all of it. Every time I see the moon I am just as blown away as the last, same with the stars, they just never get old. I have a good ability to grasp the concepts and I have learned everything I know about space and the universe on my own time. When I was younger in high school I blew it hard. Hardly ever went to class, barely graduated, didn't take any advance science or math courses. I am now older and after having not gone to post secondary for anything I feel it is time in my life to do something, and I feel space is what I want to do.

Now my problem is I have absolutely no idea specifically what I want to do in the field of 'space'. I love it all, I have no idea where to begin. I imagine I would need to take some high school science and math courses to get the grades and the knowledge I need to progress further with this...I just have no idea what to do or where to start. It is very overwhelming.

Right now I live in Vancouver near UBC but my family lives in Ontario near McMaster University. I feel I would like to go to one of these schools eventually.

This is probably a weird place to be asking this, I just figure you guys have a good understanding of the schooling aspects of all of this. Have any of you been in a similar situation as me? Where do I start? What courses should I be trying to get into at University?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I frequent this site every day and love learning about space and I want to take it to the next level and eventually be someone figuring out stuff other people read articles about!

A

a_lost_packet_

First of all, you're not a "boy." You're a 21 year old man. Within the next couple of years, your brain will be fully mature. But, as it stands right now, you are considered a man. So, start by changing your view about yourself. You are no longer bound by social constraints placed upon children.

I think you should start off by checking with colleges in your local area to see what types of programs they offer. Schools are usually very friendly to young adults who have decided to enroll after several years out of school, rather than simply blindly follow a tract that leads them from High School directly into secondary education. It's common that students in your position have an increased chance of excelling in their studies because, supposedly, they're more determined.

Here's a good place to start: Astronomy and Physics at the University of British Columbia Give them a call. Set up an appointment. Ask them their advice on their program and what qualifications you would need. Then, armed with this, discuss it with the College's Enrollment program. It may be that you will be on "probationary" status while you do some makeup work on remedial classes to get you up to speed. Take this time to develop good study habits and good grades. They'll be the easiest classes you take. :)

Eventually, I would assume that your curriculum will be filled with a lot of science, physics and math courses. How do you like these subjects? If you're not particular fond of them, learn to be. :) It's not hard to learn to like something that helps so much to unravel the secrets of the Universe, is it? Take that attitude and I bet you'll do just fine.

T

Technetium

Definatly what Packet said.
For interest in space and astronomy you'll definatly want to learn more on Physics and Maths.

Although you don't have to go to school or a college to learn.
I've learned many things from the internet. There are Physicists on youtube who are very good at teaching you different things that drive the universe.
Very interesting stuff.

For learning more in your own time I recommend.
http://www.youtube.com/sixtysymbols
And there are many more channels to do with Elements and many other related topics.

But the disadvantage of learning from home is that you won't get a Qualification of some sort.
Only the knowledge.
Whereas at a school you could gain a GCSE or A-level(For the UK, will be different for you.)

If you do find a place or whatever, I do wish you luck for your future :)

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

Could you be a bit more specific on what interests you. Is it the physics and the nature of the universe? If that's the case then you should prepare to start taking some astronomy and astrophysics classes. If you're more interested in exploring space through manned and unmanned spaceflight then focuse more on engineering. Either way, it will take a lot of math. I don't have any experience there but I'm hoping to work in spaceflight later on... I'm trying to decide myself whether to do engineering or physics. It will be heavy on the math either way, that I can tell for sure.

L

laflare

GoodVibrations":2w0kk42c said:
Hello everyone.

I am a 21 year old boy who loves space and science with a passion. For as long as I can remember I have looked up at the stars and our moon and wondered what was going on with all of it. Every time I see the moon I am just as blown away as the last, same with the stars, they just never get old. I have a good ability to grasp the concepts and I have learned everything I know about space and the universe on my own time. When I was younger in high school I blew it hard. Hardly ever went to class, barely graduated, didn't take any advance science or math courses. I am now older and after having not gone to post secondary for anything I feel it is time in my life to do something, and I feel space is what I want to do.

Now my problem is I have absolutely no idea specifically what I want to do in the field of 'space'. I love it all, I have no idea where to begin. I imagine I would need to take some high school science and math courses to get the grades and the knowledge I need to progress further with this...I just have no idea what to do or where to start. It is very overwhelming.

Right now I live in Vancouver near UBC but my family lives in Ontario near McMaster University. I feel I would like to go to one of these schools eventually.

This is probably a weird place to be asking this, I just figure you guys have a good understanding of the schooling aspects of all of this. Have any of you been in a similar situation as me? Where do I start? What courses should I be trying to get into at University?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I frequent this site every day and love learning about space and I want to take it to the next level and eventually be someone figuring out stuff other people read articles about!

hey brother i have the EXACT same problem.. slacked off hard in high school , infact i missed more classes then i went to. but i passed classes because i allways got As on tests and projects. My Family also lives in Ontario though im currently in europe. About taking courses to get into university id suggest starting with collage and then switching into university instead of taking high school courses again, But i think we can all learn alot from each other or from online studys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts