ideas to save the Hubble;

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oker59

Yep, it's that time again!

My idea that has been running through my head, really since the last hubble repair mission, is to use those attached rockets that were to bring hubble down into the oceans, to send it closer for sure if not docking with . . . the international space station; there, it will become a permanent monument until we become more established out in space to be able to move it, say, to another space station.

Bottom line, lets not just ditch it in the oceans where it will just decay to nothing.

W

webtaz99

Sadly, humans have no problem tossing valuable things in the trash. :(

T

ThereIWas2

ISS is actually in a much less stable orbit than Hubble. ISS would have long since
burned up and reentered if not for the occasional boosts it gets from Progress.
It is so low because the shuttle can not get any higher.

M

MeteorWayne

oker59":2kf5tahh said:
Yep, it's that time again!

My idea that has been running through my head, really since the last hubble repair mission, is to use those attached rockets that were to bring hubble down into the oceans, to send it closer for sure if not docking with . . . the international space station; there, it will become a permanent monument until we become more established out in space to be able to move it, say, to another space station.

Bottom line, lets not just ditch it in the oceans where it will just decay to nothing.

Not possible. The orbital inclination is far too different between the Hubble and the ISS to make it even close to possible. That's why there was a LON shuttle ready to rescue the astronauts on the Hubble mission; because even the shuttle didn't have enough propellant to change it's orbit to reach the ISS.

S

seth_381

Hmm well instead why not send up a robotic mission with a heat shielded shroud and bring Hubble back that way ?

F

freya

At our current stage of development, space exploration is extremely difficult and expensive. That is a brutal fact. We have turfed many of our jewels into the inferno of re entry.
Hubble is a glorious machine, but there will be others which will make Hubble pale somewhat, and perhaps one day give us "The Answer".
What I'm trying to say, is that unless a cheap option arises to keep Hubble preserved (as a museum piece), I would much rather see the money spent on the next gen ST.

A

astronaut23

I would have liked to have seen a shuttle mission be used to return the Hubble for a museum piece.

S

scottb50

astronaut23":1jcepoxc said:
I would have liked to have seen a shuttle mission be used to return the Hubble for a museum piece.

The best option is to use the adapter left attached by the last mission to lift it into a parking orbit where it can be retrieved and brought back to the Smithsonian. Basically there are two choices, send it into the Pacific, or boost it to a parking orbit it can maintain for a very long time.

With any luck we will finally realize we need to explore beyond out Planet before Hubble is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts