if we are alone in the universe what would be our mission

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

csmyth3025

bdewoody":de61uso2 said:
OK, a new question. What makes anyone think this is the first or only planet that God has visited or blessed with life?
I'm sure glad you didn't say "intelligent" life - that question is still being hotly debated. I'm still trying to find a smattering of science in this thread.

Chris

M

MeteorWayne

Since the discussion has drifted further away from the subject of the SETI forum goals, this has been moved...

A

adrenalynn

csmyth3025":1ucjolxr said:
I'm still trying to find a smattering of science in this thread.

Your wish is my command.

"if we are alone in the universe what would be our mission[?]"

Eat, Survive, Fornicate, Reproduce, Perish.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Mission accomplished.

C

csmyth3025

adrenalynn":2vus0guu said:
"if we are alone in the universe what would be our mission[?]"
Eat, Survive, Fornicate, Reproduce, Perish...
This would, indeed, seem to be the universal cosmic imperative for any lifeform on any planet in any galaxy.

From this perspective doing things like posting messages on SDC forums is "icing on the cake".

If the "we" in the original post means lifeforms in general (bacteria, plants, animals), I suspect there are plenty "out there". If "we" means lifeforms set on expanding beyond their planetary niche into space - I suspect there are more than a few.

Until we actually meet other lifeforms - of any kind - I'm in favor of continuing to do what we've been doing for the past 40,000 years or so: question, explore, learn, and explore some more.

Chris

A

adrenalynn

csmyth3025":nqtge1ie said:
Until we actually meet other lifeforms - of any kind - I'm in favor of continuing to do what we've been doing for the past 40,000 years or so: question, explore, learn, and explore some more.

Capt. Kirk always managed to get some Fornicate in there too. And some killing. Often both with other lifeforms he'd just met... Sometimes even managed to combine 'em. More like "explore, fornicate, kill, and fornicate some more." ;)

"We come in peace... shoot to kill..."

S

StarRider1701

adrenalynn":kfxbckc4 said:
csmyth3025":kfxbckc4 said:

Capt. Kirk always managed to get some Fornicate in there too. And some killing. Often both with other lifeforms he'd just met... Sometimes even managed to combine 'em. More like "explore, fornicate, kill, and fornicate some more." ;)

"We come in peace... shoot to kill..."

I beg to differ! Kirk often had the phasers set on "stun." Why, he even had the ship's main phasers set on stun when attacking a ground target. How do you get "shoot to kill" outa that?

As to our mission, it is very simple. Survive. Explore. Colonize. Learn. Grow. Eventually fill the Galaxy with human life forms. At some point during this process, we WILL find other people out there. You can quote me on that.

J

JohninTennessee

I used to have a minister that was a Dr of Microbiology at Vanderbilt. We had some really long and involved Wed. night Bible study classes. I do miss those discussions.

BaronHarkonen":2nchfn2y said:
bdewoody":2nchfn2y said:
I wonder why you have the idea that if we find other intelligent beings somewhere in our galaxy that they will have originated on earth?

Do the words "only begotten son" have any bearing here?

E

exokid2010

if am alone primarily i would search for nourishment and then for other survivors but in present case its not the matter, we should worry about so have a good night sleep

N

noblepuker

Could you ask a more depressing question captain buzzkill :?:

The thought of humans being alone in the universe makes me want to quit my job,sell everything,blow the money as wastefully as possible..and commit suicide. :(

S

SpeedFreek

If we are alone in the universe,
our mission is...

...to turn the lights out when we leave.

K

keeper96

If you don't believe in God, we have no mission. we are just an accident of nature. a randomly occurring happenstance.

game over man, game over.

C

CalliArcale

origin":250h37r2 said:
BaronHarkonen":250h37r2 said:
bdewoody":250h37r2 said:
I wonder why you have the idea that if we find other intelligent beings somewhere in our galaxy that they will have originated on earth?

Do the words "only begotten son" have any bearing here?

No, this is not the religon forum. Secular, godless, science here. ;)

Actually, religion is on-topic in The Unexplained, as is anything else which is . . . well, unexplained. ;)

I think our mission in the universe, should we prove to be alone, would be this:

"Go forth, be fruitful, and multiply."

Yeah, I'm quoting Genesis, but it doesn't matter what you believe. I chose that quote because it sums it up so simply, and because people tend to be familiar with it. By definition, the purpose of life is to perpetuate itself. I believe strongly that the greatest mission we could ever undertake would be to colonize other worlds, to carry life beyond this little blue marble and out into the vast beyond.

Another good quote, this time from Tsiolkovsky, one of the fathers of modern rocketry:
"Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot remain in the cradle forever."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts