If you could lasso the moon (dumb question lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tpeezy

sorry if this is the dumbest question to ever appear on this board but I was watching a show where a guy pretended to lasso the moon and I started thinking.....If some how I know its pretty much impossible and impractical but if some how someone were to build a rope a few inches thick and send it to the moon and tie it kinda tightly around the moon, and then leave the beginning of the rope back on earth, would a person be able to pull the moon further to us?? I know the moon is moving away from us very very slowly, but if someone were holding the rope would the moon pull them. Im just curious how the moon being in space, and with the gravity difference would someone be able to pull the moon closer haha. I know this is such a stupid question, but I was just thinking about it, like I do other mundane topics lol.

Hi tpeezy,

No. Mass & momentum are far too great.

It would not work.

Andrew Brown.

O

OleNewt

It would probably easily rip the rope right out of your hands. While it's true that the moon moves farther away from Earth at a rate of 1.5 inches per X time (sorry, I forget what the interval is), it's also zooming fast enough around Earth to remain in orbit.

C

crazyeddie

You wouldn't pull the moon closer, but as the portion of the Earth you were standing on continued rotating away from your starting point, you'd get yanked off you feet and pulled into the sky.....not quite the effect you hoped for!

R

robnissen

crazyeddie":1pmj8h00 said:
You wouldn't pull the moon closer, but as the portion of the Earth you were standing on continued rotating away from your starting point, you'd get yanked off you feet and pulled into the sky.....not quite the effect you hoped for!
Make the rope a bungy cord and you would have one heluva bungy jump when the Earth rotated away.

B

Balthazar579

This might be one of the simpest ways to get yourself into space, though, like everyone else here, I don't think you're bringing the moon any closer. I'd love to try it though.

A

a_lost_packet_

tpeezy":2z64u59o said:
sorry if this is the dumbest question to ever appear on this board but I was watching a show where a guy pretended to lasso the moon and I started thinking.....If some how I know its pretty much impossible and impractical but if some how someone were to build a rope a few inches thick and send it to the moon and tie it kinda tightly around the moon, and then leave the beginning of the rope back on earth, would a person be able to pull the moon further to us?? I know the moon is moving away from us very very slowly, but if someone were holding the rope would the moon pull them. Im just curious how the moon being in space, and with the gravity difference would someone be able to pull the moon closer haha. I know this is such a stupid question, but I was just thinking about it, like I do other mundane topics lol.

The Moon has a mass of about 74 quintillion tons... AND it's moving about 3600 kph...

Find me a rope that could have any possible hope of accomplishing such a task and I'll find you a much better use for it. The Moon is doing just fine right where it is. :)

C

Captain_Salty

i wonder what the effect would be on the stability of a geostationary satellites orbit, if you were to climb up a rope that was dangling from it?

Z

ZenGalacticore

crazyeddie":2y82qd5q said:

Yeah! It would be a very pricey para-sail flight. :)

B

BlackHoleAndromeda

245,000 miles away. You would need a super magnet to pull it in. Forget a rope!

M

MeteorWayne

Since it has little iron, a super strong magnet would do you no good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.