Ignorant Shuttle Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveBT

I'm sure a lot of you will laugh at me, I'm fairly use to this by now with a wife of 11 years. :lol:

As the title says, I'm fairly ignorant to a lot of physics, cost, etc regarding space but, I thought I'd ask the questions that keep me awake at night wondering:

I know the space shuttle can go to the ISS, so why bring it back to Earth? Once it's up there, why can't it be used as a permanent space vehicle? If extra fuel was sent up, couldn't it be refueled in space? Is this just something completely ridiculous?

If one of the shuttles was bought or was acquired by a conglomerate or whatever couldn't it be used as kind-of a private industry space maintenance vehicle to work on failing satellites and other things?

I do understand that it wasn't ever "meant" to do this, but there's a lot of things in this world that are being used for different purposes than their original intent.

The shuttle is a system seems to work. Yes, it's a pretty darn old system, but it's very functional isn't it? I always thought the major issues with with shuttle program were getting it up there, and then getting it back down. Once it's up there, why can't it just stay up there and be refueled etc in space?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my silly questions!!!!!

M

MeteorWayne

There are quite a few discussions of this in the Space Business and Technology forum (The shuttle isn't really an Aviation topic). I may merge this question with one of them, but the answers you seek are there.

Briefly, the shuttle can only last about 2 weeks in space before it runs out of energy, propellant, water, oxygen, etc. It is not designed to stay there, even if docked to the ISS. And there's no place to permanently dock it there anyway.

S

SteveBT

thank you sir. Sorry for the repeat. My searching isn't very great, but I have stumbled upon several posts regarding this.

:oops:

M

MeteorWayne

No problem, it's tough for new users to get a feel for the lay of the land without doing some reading first :)

Welcome to Space.com!!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS