I'm already bored with NASA's Vision for Space Exploration

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacester

Well said Jon.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">However I don't know anyone at this time is saying the moon is off limits because they think it is a divine being, do you? </font><br /><br />Actually, that's not far from what the Hopis believe. Remember the fuss they made over Eugene Shoemaker's ashes? NASA apologized and promised to check with everybody first if they did something like that again. But they didn't promise not to do it again - it was a carefully worded letter.<br /><br />I tried a quick google but there's a lot more to the story. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

spacester

Dang, I wish I has time to properly debate this with you Mr. Dobbins, you make some good points and have a similar perspective as mine, yet I draw a different conclusion.<br /><br />My opinion is that lack of property rights is actually a non-issue. I've heard all the arguments (I suppose) and studied all the pertinent legal documents (I suppose) and at the end of the day, it's a non-issue.<br /><br />We need to just go and do things and let the lawyers and the lawmakers react to events. It'll be fine. It is very silly to wait for the lawyers to set things up for us. They are waiting for events to transpire so they can get in on the act.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

That's interesting about the Hopis. Thanks. I did a bit of searching and it looks as if in future consultation has been promised. That's fair enough.<br /><br />In this case I don't think they have grounds for complaint, in that the plan to bury Shoemaker, or at least some of his ashes, was announced months in advance of the launch. The time for protest and consultation would have been then, not after the fact. <br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

P

propforce

"Yes for LEO. But this is not only for LEO but moon missions. " <br /><br />WHO is this guy LEO? <br /><br />He seems to be mentioned a lot around here lately.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

holmec

>Yes, but the mates to the cargo (TLI stage and the LM) and off they go to the Moon. <<br /><br />Is that Aussie mates or British mates?? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

S

spaceiscool

//15 to 20 years to go to the moon - we've alreay been there. Yawn.<br /><br />Every day, somebody in congress announces they want to cut NASA's budget because they see no point to these adventures.<br /><br />The ISS is turning into a Bed and Breakfast in the sky - available to the highest bidder.<br /><br />And the shuttle continues on its perilous journey to oblivion.<br /><br />The only cool stuff out there is the interplanetary probes, the rovers and the telescopes. Let's put NASA's money there!//<br /><br />I respect your post, you are correct in my opinon.

S

spacester

<font color="yellow"><br />Every day, somebody in congress announces they want to cut NASA's budget because they see no point to these adventures. <br /></font><br />That is a factually incorrect statement. Even if the hyperbole is allowed for, Congress does not hate NASA, even the congresscritters in non-NASA districts don't hate NASA. It's a myth. Proxmire is dead.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">The ISS is turning into a Bed and Breakfast in the sky - available to the highest bidder. <br /></font><br />That is a factually incorrect statement with no known corroborating evidence. There are a limited number of commercial activities, including the occasional paying - and working - passenger, but even if the hyperbole is removed from your statement, the highest bidder allegation has no merit whatsoever.<br /><font color="yellow"><br />And the shuttle continues on its perilous journey to oblivion. <br /></font>olorful language invoking fear and terror but without any actual substance other than 'shuttle continues'<font color="yellow"><br /><br />The only cool stuff out there is the interplanetary probes, the rovers and the telescopes. Let's put NASA's money there!// <br /></font> false choice. Robotic space stuff is cool. Manned space flight is cool. Making up false choices gets us nowhere.<br /><font color="yellow"><br />I respect your post, you are correct in my opinon. </font>ell said. Polite and respectful. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

spacester

Ooops, my mistake, those slashes were quotes then, I see. I haven't been following this thread closely so I didn't recognize askold's words. Of course my criticism of the words stands. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

esas_is_a_lie

Yes, it is very boring and more so as it will not happen. It gives space geeks something to dream for and more so to vote for hahahahhaa

Status
Not open for further replies.