Imaged Gravity Wave Event. This is very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

I was cruising around, saw this. Thought people might find it interesting.<br /><br />A BU all-sky imager captured this rare, naked-eye gravity wave event on November 14, 1999 at McDonald Observatory. Isn't it spectacular? <br /><br />Edit: disclaimer. It has been pointed out that the term "Gravity" has different meanings. Precisely so. I meant in an Atmospheric Physics sense. I forget sometimes, people are so knowledgable at times, that they may not know precisely my meaning. Sorry for the confusion.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Hmm. Still waiting for a Mod to approve the image.<br /><br />So here's the link: http://sirius.bu.edu/aeronomy/waves.html <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

V

valareos

ahh ok.... I understand now.<br /><br />Be careful here. there are 2 different definitions of a gravity wave. The one pictured here is the same that causes surface waves from a sitting boat (where gravity and buyancy work to cause boat to bounce back and forth) but an atmospheric variety.<br /><br />the other gravity waves are the literal ripples of space-time :p

Y

yevaud

That's why I provided the link in lieu of the picture. I assume anyone who goes there will notice the word "Aeronomy." <br /><br />Edit: actually, you're right. Merely because it's intuitive to you and me...<br /><br />Once you see the image, use the "Steve's Website" link, and it will provide a good explanation of this Aeronomical effect. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

S

silylene old

<font color="yellow">yes, but the original topic name is decieving :p </font><br /><br />The title title is deceiving...only because the term is very ambiguous.<br /><br />Oceanographers have "gravity waves" in the ocean.<br />Meteorologists have "gravity waves" in the atmosphere.<br />Astronomers have "gravity waves" in Saturn's rings.<br /><i>(the top 3 cases are all actually density waves)</i><br /><br />meanwhile,<br /><br />Traffic engineers call them "density waves" in traffic flow patterns.<br />while astronomers call them "density waves" forming galactic spiral arms.<br /><br />while,<br /> <br />Cosmologists and physicists call the actual wave-nature of gravitational force "gravity waves".<br /><br />No wonder it is confusing! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

Y

yevaud

Thank you. Nor did I name the topic - the PhD in question did. My fault was in just plain not considering that people wouldn't either know what was meant by it, nor that they would notice the specific "Aeronomy."<br /><br />And, of course, once it was pointed out to me, I added a caveat. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

S

silylene old

I first learned that many fields term density waves as "gravity waves" while passing through Grenoble France, where I took the opportunity to visit an online 'forum' colleague who is a research oceanographer . In Grenoble, there is the world's largest wave tank on a turntable, 14m in diameter, called 'Hydralab'. I learned this tank is used to study "gravity waves" and how these waves interact with continents and coastlines.<br /><br />http://www.coriolis-legi.org/Grand_Instrument-en.htm#BM1__The_Facility<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts