Infinitely massive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arwhiston

If matter becomes infinitely massive as it approaches the speed of light, then how big are the protons that make up the cosmic radiation that strikes the earth at the speed of light? I have read that scientists accelerating protons for a living have measured them much larger.

V

vogon13

Protons become more massive (colloquially: heavier) not more voluminous. Actually, due to Fitzgerald contraction, volume decreases as (assuming it starts as a sphere) speed increases into more of a disc shape. From point of view of proton, mass and volume have not changed, just going really, really fast. Also not apparent to proton but to us is that time passing for proton slows down thus allowing proton passage into future with same girlish figure and good looks intact, not like some withered bitter old decrepit...., sorry! I digress. Not sure what happens (from our point of view) if proton volume / mass ratio crosses threshhold for blackhole formation. Might have S. Hawking mull that part over. <br /><br /><br /><br />You don't know what you do to me<br />The Emotions <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

Entire mass of universe (minus one proton, and SDC) converted to energy to accelerate that last proton. To a stationary SDC, how do we experience close flyby of that proton? This is fascinating to think about! Thanx for response! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

N

newtonian

eburacum45 - Yes, appearances can be deceiving.<br /><br />And, frames of reference are important.<br /><br />However, light travels at the same speed no matter what frame of reference it is viewed from, correct?<br /><br />Yet matter travels at different speeds depending on the frame of reference, correct?<br /><br />From its own frame of reference, is matter ever really moving?<br /><br />Does matter change to energy when it reaches the speed of light from its own frame of reference, if that is possible?<br /><br />Does either vibration or subatomic spin qualify as motion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts