Info on the NEWTONIAN EQUATORIAL REFLECTOR TELESCOPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newnight

Hi i'm new to astronomey and want to buy my firsts telescope - looking for a bargain I found this on ebay - when searching the name zero_cool popped up on this forum asking the same question about the newtonian Telescope and I was wondering if they were around and could comment on the quality of it - it was back in november 2005. Or can any one else advise if this is an ok device or what would you recommend for a new comer to start with? Link to the ebay page - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-6-INCH-NEWTONIAN-REFLECTOR-TELESCOPE-NR_W0QQitemZ7604289319QQcategoryZ3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<br />

L

lucas_900

Havn't ever seen these before but I found this on amazon: Link.<br />It only got 1/5 on 2 reviews.<br /><br />"<br /><b>Not a quality telescope</b><br />It's unfortunate that there are so many people giving these scopes good reviews on eBay. I've seen this scope marketed by a number of different distribution companies, some with branded names on the tube: Baytronix, Event Horizon, Scopewise and Sylvan to name a few. They are all the same, Chinese-made short tube newtonian, 1501400. They don't look to bad coming out of the box, but NONE contain comprehensive assembly instructions, warranty information or any indication as to where they are made. Prices range from $180-$230.00, including shipping. The optics are SUB-STANDARD. The focuser contains a barlow-type lens used to increase the focal length to 1400mm, and reduce abberations. The short-tube design is inherently flawed at this price range. The alignment and optics required for this design would double the price of this scope. I guarantee you, on your first night out to view planets/galaxies/nebulae will be an extreme disappointment. If you're looking for a great starter scope, for not much more money, check out dobsonian models from the major manufacturers. You'll then get the quality, support and warranty you deserve for your money.<br />"<br /><br />and<br /><br />"<br /><b>Extreme Disappointment</b><br />This scope reminds me of the $40 department store telescope we had when I was a kid. The scope does not focus well enough to see Saturn clearly with either eyepiece and the Barlow simply makes everything worse. After contacting the seller and asking to return the scope, they suggested reading the manual. There is no information in the manual related to adjusting the scope and I expect this thing will just end up in a closet since the seller will not take it back.<br />"

Status
Not open for further replies.