Intergaltic travel via cosmic strings

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimmyboy

Gravity (mass) warps spacetime and so changes the way particles move through it...I was watching a program about cosmic strings and how if two super long cosmic strings (reminisence and created from the big bang) where parallel to each other in space they would warp gravity so much (maybe as much as a black hole) that a theoretical spaceship could cut right across the spacetime fabric (and end up on the other side of the universe, while light rays would still go via the spacetime fabric path.. It is hard to explain without having a diagram to show, but my question is what exactly would you be travelling through (or cutting through) because it wouldnt be spacetime because that is being warpped??

H

hewes

Jimmyboy":2o6i665y said:
...my question is what exactly would you be travelling through...??

When Tarzan did it, it was through the jungle.

J

Jimmyboy

Ok let me try to describe it different, looks like it is abit to complicated for Hewes to understand.
If you have a rubber mat that represents spacetime and you put a heavy mass in the middle, it would curve. This is also the way light would travel around the curvature. Now if you put a long ruler ontop of the mass this would represent the short cut that a theoretical spaceship could take, while a light ray would have to take the longer route around spacetime. What I am trying to get at is if the light ray has to travel around the spacetime path, what would the ship be travelling through because it wouldnt be the spacetime fabric.

H

hewes

Jimmyboy":toroi6vn said:
Ok let me try to describe it different, looks like it is abit to complicated for Hewes to understand...

Don't be insulting, boy. What you're talking about is a wormhole, right?

H

harper05

Hi jimmy boy,
I found this.

http://www.phys.lsu.edu/mog/mog25/node12.html

Looks like you would be traveling through "an attractor solution called the, ``scaling regime''. In this regime, the energy density of the string network becomes a small constant fraction of the radiation or matter density, and the statistical properties of the system, such as the correlation lengths of long strings and average sizes of loops, scale with the cosmic time."

There should also be bursts of gravitational waves coming from the ends of unlooped strings that LIGO is looking for. But probably wont be able to find.

H

hewes

Sounds like a wild ride! Thanks, I hadn't heard of cosmic strings before, and Jimmyboy, it probably is over my head! Good luck!

J

Jimmyboy

Thanks Harper, Dont really understand that link either, if somebody could put that in laymens terms that would be good. Not sure if it answered my question too. Wormholes were not mentioned when I originally heard about it Hewes. Maybe it is someother dimension.

H

harper05

Imagine a pathway stretched out across the entire universe in the first few moments of the big bang. In this pathway exists an energy density different than matter, light, and space. possibly caused by the interactions, or turbulance of higher dimensions.. Kind of like a cosmic wake apparent to us only when it exist mostly in 4 dimensions (length,width,height,time).. Maybe it happened so fast that the other dimensions are confused?, or turbid..
Who knows I think now they are really just numbers and theory.

And your right Jimmy boy, They are not the wormholes predicted by Einstien and others. Just a lil' different. ;)

http://www.crystalinks.com/wormholes.html

H

harper05

Im sorry Jimmy Boy, your right I misread your question. You would simply be traveling through the warped space between the parallel strings. And I guess it would be somewhat wormholish..
I would imagine it would be almost infinitely improbable that two of these strings would line up parallel though. But again who knows?

J

Jimmyboy

I think your right harper, some kind of wormhole. Wish i had the brains to understand the mathmatics in it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts