International cooperation is good for space development

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keermalec

<p>&nbsp;</p><p><strong><strong>SpaceDev Awarded International Space Station Contract</strong></strong></p><p><strong><em>Resupply Program will Provide Subsystems for Japanese H2 Transfer Vehicle</em></strong></p><p><em>POWAY, CA &ndash; March 20, 2008 &ndash; SpaceDev, Inc. (OTCBB: SPDV) has been awarded a contract from IHI-Aerospace (Japan) to manufacture multiple flight ship-sets of precision space mechanisms for the H2 Transfer Vehicle (HTV).&nbsp; Included are low-shock release devices used to restrain the HTV&rsquo;s exposed cargo pallet during launch, and release it on orbit for transfer to the International Space Station.&nbsp; The contract also calls for SpaceDev to supply high-output paraffin release mechanisms and a brush motor.&nbsp; Hardware for operational HTV spacecraft will be delivered over the next six years.</em></p><p>Because the ISS is an international cooperation, countries with no manned space capability are now investing&nbsp;important sums in&nbsp;manned space operations. This increases the knowledge base for manned space, increases demand for launchers and produces revenue for space companies, promoting innovation and producing economies&nbsp;of scale. At the same time,&nbsp;the success of international ventures&nbsp;attracts yet other countries which may not have been initially interested in participating:</p><p><strong><strong>UK push for space station modules</strong></strong></p><p><em>A proposal for the UK to join the International Space Station (ISS) project has been put forward by a group of scientists and engineers.</em></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>“An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.” John F. Kennedy</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

<p>That would be a pleasant change. Decades ago the international route was touted as the way to go to save money. Instead, ISS proved to be just as expensive to develop as any huge manned space project despite having international partners. The U.S. shouldering the majority of the cost.</p><p>With the influx of private enterprise operations geared towards space including that which you posted. Maybe, just maybe the picture will change and international co-operation will prove to be beneficial from a cost perspective. International co-operation has always been beneficial from a global perspective. &nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

K

keermalec

<p>I'm beginning to think the Moon should be a international venture, more so yet than the ISS which is, as you said, primarily US-funded. With China, India, Russia, Japan&nbsp;and the USA currently interested in establishing a presence there, it would make sense to avoid duplicating technology and effort across the world. Other countries such as Europe and Brasil would certainly join in if things&nbsp;got rolling.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>“An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.” John F. Kennedy</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

<p>I totally agree. Especially if the private sector is taking longer than expected to get its efforts up and running and we still have to depend on taxpayer funds for NASA.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

K

keermalec

Q

qso1

<p><font color="#800080">Apparently the ESA and Russia are already persuing a deal to develope together a translunar vehicle and ultimately, a lander. Posted by keermalec</font></p><p>Interesting, thanks for the link.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

K

keermalec

<p>India is launching its own lunar orbiter, Chandrayaan-1,&nbsp;this year. In 2011, the rover Chandrayaan-2&nbsp;should land&nbsp;to&nbsp;sample and analyze lunar regolith. To me things are starting to look very much like a race to the Moon.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>“An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.” John F. Kennedy</em></p> </div>

A

acidrain

<p class="MsoNormal">Iam not sure that Intl Cooperation is good and we have all seen what has happened with the ISS. It has become an over budget project with delay after delay. I think the best route to go would be for much of NASA to be privatized as it seems that NASA and American people isn&rsquo;t simply being used responsibility and to be frank it is the time of the private sector to step up to the plate and run with it. While the private sector has taken a little longer to develop there infrastructure, i think once they do they will be running for space and beyond. NASA hasn&rsquo;t been popular since the Apollo missions, no one interested in the space program and I think the interjection of the private sector is what is needed to keep our edge as NASA has lost it way and its ability to take things to the extreme. Is it in part to governmental cuts, yes that has a lot to do with it though NASA used to be a proud organization and I think with no real successes it has hurt NASA as whole? Iam not posting this to bag on NASA, they have laid the ground work for the private sector to take its place and while its started a little late IMO its better late than never. There are so many good private companies that are moving towards great projects and my hope is that once there infrastructure is established and ready I think we will see a new era in space. </p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts