Intuitive Machines lands on moon in nail-biting descent of private Odysseus lander, a 1st for US since 1972

Why this is important mission is because it goes to Artemis 3 first human landing on moon after Apollo Program landings on which I worked.

Only similar facility we had were lunar orbiters prior to Apollo and surveyor landers.
Ravi
(Dr. Ravi Sharma, Ph.D. USA)
NASA Apollo Achievement Award
ISRO Distinguished Service Awards
Former MTS NASA HQ MSEB Apollo
Former Scientific Secretary ISRO HQ
Ontolog Board of Trustees
Particle and Space Physics
Senior Enterprise Architect
SAE Fuel Cell Tech Committee voting member for 20 years.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drravisharma

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
In the comment in this article, 'a new moon race, a competition between the U.S. and China for the right to establish precedents and norms of behavior in the high frontier. ' There is no competition going on here, as all precedents and norms of behavior will apply to everyone on the Moon. Inventing some rule or behavior doesn't put anyone above anyone else no matter what country they come from. Let's leave the idea of competition, out of going back to the Moon and make it a good reason to avoid War and making International friendships!

Reactions: Sadot
Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
I want to know why they edited Bill Nelson's statement from "We've Taken then Moon" to "Odysseus has taken the Moon" ... I mean if I am honest it's no better.

IF you were watching this thing live you heard what he originally said. They have edited all the videos... This makes me not trust anything that this teams says regarding this mission.. and yes I made this account just to point out how they are editing and changing their story. I wish Space dot come would call them out on this... or any media people.

That original statement was so bad... We would have flipped our lid if India or China or even Japan would have made any statements about taking the moon.... I mean what does that even men??

Did we take it back from the Romulans or something??

Reactions: George²
Editing is a valid issue. However, no matter what his statement, there is no cause for outrage. There are space treaties preventing any country from claiming a celestial body as their soil. As treaties, they got 2/3 of the Senate. Senate supermajority outranks head of NASA.

Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
Editing is a valid issue. However, no matter what his statement, there is no cause for outrage. There are space treaties preventing any country from claiming a celestial body as their soil. As treaties, they got 2/3 of the Senate. Senate supermajority outranks head of NASA.
True... but does it not worry you that with all the skepticism about the US and landing men on the moon... They go and pull this stunt. All these claims of its on its side... now its upright and so on?

If its upright... then why did not other prelanding ops occur? Why did the deployable camera not separate?
Or did it? I don't know because they won't say.

Also as I pointed out in another post... if this thing landed upright after all. Why are they on the struggle bus when it comes to communications with the probe?

I mean it's upright... I can't be asked to believe they put a non-directional antenna on the thing know they are going into a massively hostile environment.

Things are not adding up.

They just pushed out the first picture purporting that it is a picture from the surface of the moon... I don't know man. I have major trust issues with NASA... and anything any American company claims about Space.

I guess if we get more pictures and data I will develop trust but now I have zero trust regarding this mission.

No ownership, no commerce, no profit, no opening, no breakout, no energy! Fifty-one years (a negative of maximum closed systemic 'Iron Curtain' bubble entropy)!

"It ain't goin' nowhere," as a saying goes! One energetic private step forward, two "Circumlocution Office" bureaucratic entropic steps backward!" Growing, ever increasing, deficit of energy! "Fifty-one years!" "It ain't proceeding!" As Adam Smith would have said, "It isn't going to acquire momentum -- meaning a widening flood of frontage of humans and human activity beyond all iron(!) controls -- to opening, thus it builds an infinite untenable cost . . . and so do we, so does dynamic energetic civilization, inside an 'Iron Curtain' bubble of Earth!"

As always, the totalitarian devil will be in a growing regulatory avalanche of regulating details! The drag will be "extinction" quality.

As Admiral Grace Hopper once told us in a computer briefing, "the security features piled on this system make this system virtually useless!"

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I want to know why they edited Bill Nelson's statement from "We've Taken then Moon" to "Odysseus has taken the Moon" ... I mean if I am honest it's no better.

IF you were watching this thing live you heard what he originally said. They have edited all the videos... This makes me not trust anything that this teams says regarding this mission.. and yes I made this account just to point out how they are editing and changing their story. I wish Space dot come would call them out on this... or any media people.

That original statement was so bad... We would have flipped our lid if India or China or even Japan would have made any statements about taking the moon.... I mean what does that even men??

Did we take it back from the Romulans or something??
Yea, except I edit stuff out too, if I sent a lander all the way to the moon and forgot to flip the switch to turn it on!!!

True... but does it not worry you that with all the skepticism about the US and landing men on the moon... They go and pull this stunt. All these claims of its on its side... now its upright and so on?

If its upright... then why did not other prelanding ops occur? Why did the deployable camera not separate?
Or did it? I don't know because they won't say.

Also as I pointed out in another post... if this thing landed upright after all. Why are they on the struggle bus when it comes to communications with the probe?

I mean it's upright... I can't be asked to believe they put a non-directional antenna on the thing know they are going into a massively hostile environment.

Things are not adding up.

They just pushed out the first picture purporting that it is a picture from the surface of the moon... I don't know man. I have major trust issues with NASA... and anything any American company claims about Space.

I guess if we get more pictures and data I will develop trust but now I have zero trust regarding this mission.
1) No, I am not worried about Moon hoax skepticism.
2) They say deployable camera was turned off purposely during their reprogramming.
3) It is struggling because it is on its side and has only its omnidirectional antenna. The high gain dish antenna is out of service. Every spacecraft has an omnidirectional antenna, it is for emergency use when the dish is pointed wrong. They can't move the high gain dish on this lander, only by rotating the lander just before touchdown. Once down it is fixed.
4) All of this information is available in the news feeds. I would recommend reading them. This will help you in your addition.

Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
1) No, I am not worried about Moon hoax skepticism.
2) They say deployable camera was turned off purposely during their reprogramming.
3) It is struggling because it is on its side and has only its omnidirectional antenna. The high gain dish antenna is out of service. Every spacecraft has an omnidirectional antenna, it is for emergency use when the dish is pointed wrong. They can't move the high gain dish on this lander, only by rotating the lander just before touchdown. Once down it is fixed.
4) All of this information is available in the news feeds. I would recommend reading them. This will help you in your addition.
Gotcha... Time will tell if we are having our leg pulled or of they are telling us the truth... last thing I read was that it was upright...so I will just hold my judgment until more information comes out...well when verified information comes out

Reactions: billslugg
Getting back to the edit, I think Bill Nelson was speaking metaphorically in the context of a vessel named after a fictional Greek hero. The problem is that the context most people were thinking about was a space race where there had already been concern about other countries "claiming" the Moon, and the Nelson's choice of hyperbole was likely to be interpreted elsewhere as doing what we were saying others should not do.

So, this edit is more towards making the message correct, not making a false impression.

Still, I am surprised that Nelson made such an undiplomatic flub. It was obviously a prepared statement, so I hope in the future he gets somebody in the PR department to read his stuff before he goes public.

Anyone who gets upset at what Nelson said has an ulterior motive. It's like all these drive by critics of anything the US does. They come on here and post the same day they signed up, some horribly cynical comment about the US. Then we never see them again. I suspect Eastern Bloc trolls. Perhaps Xi is trying to wear us down. I just ignore them.

Bill, I agree with your thinking on that. But, remember that the whole world can read this forum, not to mention see what others say about the U.S. in other media in other countries. So, I do think it is important for U.S. public officials to think about how what they say could be used against the interests of the U.S. in other venues. The trolls you are talking about are doing what they do because it does have detrimental effects on those of us that they view as adversaries or enemies, not just for their personal amusement.

Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
Getting back to the edit, I think Bill Nelson was speaking metaphorically in the context of a vessel named after a fictional Greek hero. The problem is that the context most people were thinking about was a space race where there had already been concern about other countries "claiming" the Moon, and the Nelson's choice of hyperbole was likely to be interpreted elsewhere as doing what we were saying others should not do.

So, this edit is more towards making the message correct, not making a false impression.

Still, I am surprised that Nelson made such an undiplomatic flub. It was obviously a prepared statement, so I hope in the future he gets somebody in the PR department to read his stuff before he goes public.
Ahhhh okay... see that makes sense. And I can accept that. What's crazy it that it was him that was telling us that we better watch out because China is planning to Alan Parsons project the moon.(in your best Dr. Evil voice)

I think they should have stated that they edited the comment and give the reasons why and not pass it off as what happened on that day. At least to me, and I am a moon landing skeptic , sorry I am... not saying that it did not happen back in the day... Just saying that I am skeptical , just to be transparent as people like to point out.

But when you start changing things and making edits and passing them off as how things actually happen... I gets me wondering and I start getting negative vibes.

It would have been way better if in the edit he simply stated what you stated. "Hi All, this is a correction to my statement I made earlier in the original broadcast.. I was speaking in terms of the Greek God... and not of Ownership...blah blah blah...

I may be being too hard on the team and the ol'boy... but it all just rubbed me wrong... I guess I should stop ranting on about it. I will say this... all the footage of landings back in the day with all the limited bandwidth ... You would think we would have gotten real time video of the decent to the surface like we got back in the day.

I know they are on a part of the moon that may be hard to get signal... but still seems odd we could do real time basic tv signals back then... but not so much today.

Thanks for the explanation.

Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
Anyone who gets upset at what Nelson said has an ulterior motive. It's like all these drive by critics of anything the US does. They come on here and post the same day they signed up, some horribly cynical comment about the US. Then we never see them again. I suspect Eastern Bloc trolls. Perhaps Xi is trying to wear us down. I just ignore them.
I get what you putting down... but I stated in my post... I join here to make the points I wanted to make because I wanted to make sure I was not tripping. I know what I saw, I know what I heard...and when I did not see any criticism of the comment from the media or from members of the space fan community on read it(I refuse to spell it the way they spell it because I am not an Idiot)... I joined both to voice my concerns and opinions. That is what forums are for. We are not here to be in lockstep with each other.

There was a link to this site which I did not actually know about, meaning that there was a forum. And again, I saw the team, fans and the media passing this landing off as a success when clearly it was not.

I felt the need to write about it to see if I was alone in my thoughts.

I have also disclosed that I am a moon landing Skeptic , not a denial person... just skeptical. I am not that flat earth nonsense but that I just have problems with the story we have been told for so long. And this situation of passing off a mission that has the hallmarks of failure as some historic achievement that many other nations have seeming done better needs to be called out.

We as people cant allow these tech companies to lie to us. Musk blows up rockets and calls them a success and people clap like seals and use phrases like an unplanned disassembly is just pure bs. Nasa or Boeing has a failure and those same people rake them over the coals. That is dangerous and it leads to what I believe what we are witnessing here. Misinformation . This news story has people thinking this was a mega successful mission.

Big Tech has way too much influence over us. The opinion shaping is very dangerous. We should be willing and it should be acceptable to call them out when they are not being Transparent or honest. That is not trolling. That is wanting truth and accountability. Those things aid in making things successful. It's not Antiamerican to want those things.

Failing is a part of learning... But we are taking it too far these days. Failing, no matter what, you learn from... it is still failure and failure is part of life

If China or India's probe was on it's side because of someone failing and checklist item...or media our people and the people here and on read it would be clowning them for that... but since it's americancentric it still a success.

I hope my honesty helps Bill

Last edited:

Latest posts