Iranian missile launch question

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LKD

Ref: http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/scitec ... /#slide=13

I was looking through the photos on Iranian technology and saw this photo. What I don't recall ever seeing are the 4 yellow exhaust-like plumes near the nose of the missile.

I can guess what they are, but would someone be kind enough to let me know what they are, if this is common? I hate being uncertain.

Thank you kindly.

L

LKD

Ah nice. Thank you! That had a couple extra on it.

Is this an easier way to adjust trajectory instead of manipulating a single point of propulsion? I can imagine it is much more precise, but considering the added expense and complexity, it seems initially like it would be more trouble then it is worth.

S

SteveCNC

It's an easy way to control attitude on a rigid structure type rocket but those are generally smaller . Most of the large rockets I've worked on the structure couldn't handle much torque from the top , they're all gimbaled from the bottom with some minor attitude control higher up . I liken those to pressurized beer cans because a lot of the structural strength comes from pressurizing the insides . Almost everything inside of them is connected by heim joints all over the place . But that's why you will likely only see those on smaller rockets and escape mechanisms .

All it is , is a motor turned upside down burning the entire time and all they need do is control the openings . With a gimbaled system you have to have your control system below the motor , more involved and bulky IMO . The nozzle is far more involved as well .

L

LKD

Thank you very much. It's always amazing what HAS to be involved in something like launching something through the stratosphere. Rocket science gets to keep it's well deserved adulation another day. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.