Irwin Allen tv Shows

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drwayne

And why can't circuitry be locked up, rather than being put in a room where every Tom, Dick and
Whosit can go and pull it out?

Wayne

p.s. I had a zombie dream the other night where I was using a LIS laser pistol to cap the undead.

V

vogon13

drwayne":3t5515gk said:
I remember a joke at one point about Voyage in which the gist of the joke is that someone in
that universe REALLY needs to invent a good circuit breaker.

To my recollection, VTTBOTS relied too heavily on one plot resolution device:

Whatever the emergency was, it always caused Seaview to be out of touch with Washington (Kowalski was the worst radio tech in the fleet !!) and the proper resolution of the emergency was to zorch it with a nuclear weapon, but Nelson could never get authorization for the nuke, but he would do it anyhow, and since the nuke always resolved the problem and saved the planet, he never got in trouble for firing the nuke without approval.

I bet 5 to 10 episodes every season were wrapped up that way.

:shock:

J

jim48

vogon13":32cpm5bc said:
drwayne":32cpm5bc said:
I remember a joke at one point about Voyage in which the gist of the joke is that someone in
that universe REALLY needs to invent a good circuit breaker.

Whatever the emergency was, it always caused Seaview to be out of touch with Washington (Kowalski was the worst radio tech in the fleet !!) and the proper resolution of the emergency was to zorch it with a nuclear weapon, but Nelson could never get authorization for the nuke, but he would do it anyhow, and since the nuke always resolved the problem and saved the planet, he never got in trouble for firing the nuke without approval.

I bet 5 to 10 episodes every season were wrapped up that way.

Or by firing an electric charge through the hull to get rid of that week's giant monster.

:shock:

D

drwayne

I remember a lot of villains either:

(1) Going in the circuitry room, with its non-water-tight door, and pulling wires out

or

(2) Going in the reactor room and pulling out the control rods.

(Sparks was the radio man by the way, Kowalski did a lot of jobs, including sonar)

Wayne

C

crazyeddie

Larryman":2do1exsv said:
I never liked the flying sub. The concept was too implausable.

Yeah, like how the eyeballs of anyone inside the sub would probably pop out of their heads from the impact of hitting the water...... :lol:

But complaining about such implausibilities in the world of Irwin Allen sci-fi is an exercise in futility. Let's face it, NONE of it ever made any sense, nor was it ever really meant to!

J

jim48

The flying sub diving into the water was ludicrous but very dramatic. The movie Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea contained one of the all-time famous scientific gaffes: Iceburgs breaking away and sinking as the Seaview dodges them. Ice doesn't sink, folks. I was watching a Voyage on Hulu the other night where they re-used that footage. By then someone had brought the science to Irwin Allen's attention, so when a crewman questioned Nelson about the sinking ice he said that when you put ice cubes in a drink they sink, then come back up. Well, that explains everything! :lol:

Curious that no one is talking about The Time Tunnel or Land of the Giants. :?:

C

crazyeddie

vogon13":2bcmogc0 said:

What always made me laugh was when somebody messed up the machinery on on the Seaview, either deliberately or accidentally, the vessel would start rolling back and forth, so that they could have people in the interior shots shown being flung back and forth, usually accompanied by things shorting out and sparks flying everywhere. It always seemed so absurd.....why would the ship roll back and forth, instead of in just one direction? That was just nuts! :lol:

C

crazyeddie

jim48":3v26gnhi said:
The flying sub diving into the water was ludicrous but very dramatic. The movie Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea contained one of the all-time famous scientific gaffes: Iceburgs breaking away and sinking as the Seaview dodges them. Ice doesn't sink, folks. I was watching a Voyage on Hulu the other night where they re-used that footage. By then someone had brought the science to Irwin Allen's attention, so when a crewman questioned Nelson about the sinking ice he said that when you put ice cubes in a drink they sink, then come back up. Well, that explains everything! :lol:

Or the other scientific gaffe: that the Van Allen radiation belts could somehow catch fire....as if they were made of swamp gas or something! :lol:

jim48":3v26gnhi said:

Shall we talk about the endless paradoxes that Doug and Tony created when they kept interfering with history, yet which seemed to have no repercussions in the present? Or how it could be that a suborbital passenger vehicle could have been drawn into the gravity field of a hitherto-undiscovered planet that was the home of the Giants, without such an astronomical body wrecking havoc with the rest of the Earth by approaching so close? The mind boggles with the implausibility of it all....... :shock:

D

drwayne

jim48":376rc9n1 said:

I rationalized the sinking ice as having a significant rock content - kind of like my brain. :)

J

jim48

The Van Allen belt catching fire was ludicrous but effective, because it scared the bejeezuss out of me when I saw it as a kid. The idea of the sky catching fire was terrifying! I'm really enjoying Voyage on Hulu. It's a treat. I'm watching the first two years on weekends. You get your money's worth in an hour, and some of the scripts were okay. Time Tunnel is fun, too. I'm surprised that Land of the Giants hung on for two seasons. There's not much to that show. Lost in Space is of course my beloved favorite. I'm still waiting for someone to do a good biography of Irwin Allen. That would be quite a book!

L

Larryman

"Curious that no one is talking about The Time Tunnel or Land of the Giants."

Nothing about Land Of The Giants appealed to me. I did not like the ship, the crew, or the fundamental series concept of a planet of giants. I dont think I have ever watched more than 10 episodes of it, and never will. The main thing I liked about the Time Tunnel, was the time tunnel... but not for use as a 'time tunnel' - lol. I never liked the concept of time travel, due to the resulting paradoxes, or complexity of infinite timelines. I would have preferred that the time tunnel have simply been a 'viewer' of our past, or perhaps a dimensional access portal to an alien world of another universe.

And Lost In Space is my favorite Irwin Allen concept too, jim48. I just wish Irwin had not introduced the Dr. Smith character into it.

D

drwayne

The visuals of LOG, like using a paper clip and a thread as climbing equipment, and small things as large
things were *somewhat* interesting. I remember as a kid having some of that sort of scale interest
when I would watch Gumby.

Yes, morons like me get interested in weird stuff.

Whats that shiny thing on my desk......weee......

Wayne

V

vogon13

Another problem with the series was the proximity of the Spindrift to the town.

If it was one (giant) mile away from the edge of the town, then it was 12 miles for the little people.

Just about every episode, that distance could be traversed at a comfortable walking speed in just a few moments.

How could that be ??

And why do all the earth ships wind up on the giant world in such close proximity to this town ??

And did they ever say what was wrong with the Spindrift ?? Was it out of fuel, or broken, so they could not at least move it to a safer location??

D

drwayne

Only tangentially related to your LOG questions.

I have wondered (and dreamed about) scenarios in which the Jupiter 2 lands on a planet that
had significant habitation of a civilization roughly on a par with their own. Avoiding/managing
contact with them could make for an interesting portion of a season. Similarly a civilization
what is a century or two behind theirs.

Wayne

C

crazyeddie

Larryman":35m0zubq said:
And Lost In Space is my favorite Irwin Allen concept too, jim48. I just wish Irwin had not introduced the Dr. Smith character into it.

Actually, that wasn't Allen's idea, it was the studio bosses at CBS who wanted to introduce his character, in their belief that the amicable Robinson family (who were selected out of millions of volunteers, among other things, for their "psychological stability") needed some kind of nemesis to add drama to the plots. It was Irwin Allen's idea to kill him off after the first few episodes, but Jonathan Harris hated the role he was assigned to play, and wanted to make the character his own by transforming the role from that of a clever, evil saboteur, into one that he was better known for as an actor: a comic villain. He also, quite understandably, wanted to try to hang on to his job! His transformation began around the 6th or 7th broadcast episode, and it unexpectedly proved to be popular with the viewing audiences, and the one thing you can say about Irwin Allen was that to him, ratings were everything. Jonathan Harris recalled that he was approached by Allen one day, with a menacing look on his face and waggling his finger at him, saying "I know what you're doing, Jonathan!". Then he smiled and said, "Keep on doing it!". The ratings kept going up, and Harris ultimately became the focal point of the entire show.

C

crazyeddie

drwayne":jnzxtthp said:
I have wondered (and dreamed about) scenarios in which the Jupiter 2 lands on a planet that
had significant habitation of a civilization roughly on a par with their own. Avoiding/managing
contact with them could make for an interesting portion of a season. Similarly a civilization

Wayne

I was surprised to learn that in Irwin Allen's original series concept, the J2 was supposed to have crashed on the desert planet where it was damaged so severely that it could never be repaired, marooning the Robinson's forever. They would have then assembled the Chariot and abandoned the ship (!), to roam about like nomads, where they struggle to survive on a hostile planet, inhabited by monsters and aliens. But the thought of discarding the Jupiter 2 mockup, which at the time was the most expensive single prop in TV history (between the sets and the working models), was simply not acceptable to CBS, and so they reworked the series concept into what we all came to know it as.

J

jim48

I've posted a lot of threads out here, and I'm amazed at how this one keeps on going! Larryman, you're obviously a great fan of Lost in Space, but I disagree with you on Dr. Smith. Drama=Conflict, and Dr. Smith provided both and made the show more interesting than it would have been without him. They kinda'-sorta' tried the same thing in Land of the Giants with the Fitzhugh character, but he was never able to wheel and deal as Smith did, although the actor who played him was quite good. Clearly they had to sanitize Smith early on or the Robinsons or Major West would have fired him out the airlock if only to save themselves, which is one of the reasons those first 4 or 5 episodes are gems because he was trying to kill everyone just to get back to Earth! I've always said that Lost in Space should have been on Saturday mornings, but at the same time it was a good family show. Dr. Smith always got his comeuppance. Did I spell that right? :?

D

drwayne

Speaking to the thread's life, I know for me, it has been fun to talk about LIS et. al.
with an intelligent group. Most such discusssions are a few one liiners, with the
inevitable pop-in from "serious scifi" fans to indicate how bad the series was.

To make space, and the planets they land on, and all their weekly adversary would
have required MUCH better writing - and a big picture vision of where the series
was going. You can tell that the writing was very much of a "make it up as we go
along" - not only from shoow to show, but sometimes as a particular show went
along. Smith was a good crutch for making this sort-of work.

Wayne

L

Larryman

crazyeddie":2jyei387 said:
drwayne":2jyei387 said:

Wayne

I was surprised to learn that in Irwin Allen's original series concept, the J2 was supposed to have crashed on the desert planet where it was damaged so severely that it could never be repaired, marooning the Robinson's forever. They would have then assembled the Chariot and abandoned the ship (!), to roam about like nomads, where they struggle to survive on a hostile planet, inhabited by monsters and aliens. But the thought of discarding the Jupiter 2 mockup, which at the time was the most expensive single prop in TV history (between the sets and the working models), was simply not acceptable to CBS, and so they reworked the series concept into what we all came to know it as.

There would have been one benefit to abandoning the J2 - the episode 'locations' would have changed occasionally. It would not have become the 'boring' basecamp throughout season-1. Which (as I recall at the time) fans tired of, and thus wanted the J2 to return to (non-credible, Star Trek) space flight to other star systems. But I would suggest that there was another choice between abandoning ship, and return to space. If the J2 utilized a generated anti-gravity field (surrounding energy glow) for lift, in addition to it's hyperdrive for main propulsion... then disabling 'only' the hyperdrive (in the initial crash landing) would have stranded the Robinsons on Priplanus. But with the continued use of the J2's anti-gravity field and maneuvering thrusters, the ship could occasionally relocate it's basecamp to new locations on Priplanus - for viewer variety; and to satisfy CBS's need to keep the expensive mockup. Using only anti-gravity and thrusters, the J2 could have even visited the moons of Priplanus. And if the anti-gravity field is reversable to 'increase' gravity... the J2 could overcome it natural boyancy in water, and submerge to visit the bottom of the seas of Priplanus.

L

Larryman

jim48":3ndd9fh3 said:
I've posted a lot of threads out here, and I'm amazed at how this one keeps on going! Larryman, you're obviously a great fan of Lost in Space, but I disagree with you on Dr. Smith. Drama=Conflict, and Dr. Smith provided both and made the show more interesting than it would have been without him. They kinda'-sorta' tried the same thing in Land of the Giants with the Fitzhugh character, but he was never able to wheel and deal as Smith did, although the actor who played him was quite good. Clearly they had to sanitize Smith early on or the Robinsons or Major West would have fired him out the airlock if only to save themselves, which is one of the reasons those first 4 or 5 episodes are gems because he was trying to kill everyone just to get back to Earth! I've always said that Lost in Space should have been on Saturday mornings, but at the same time it was a good family show. Dr. Smith always got his comeuppance. Did I spell that right? :?

It just seems to me, that fighting for your life on a planet filled with natural indiginous monsterous plants, animals, mysteries, and having to out-wit a few intelligent aliens (shown at end of "No Place To Hide")... should be enough "Drama=Conflict". Without having to resort to bringing along your own non-credible stowaway saboteur version. The continuing 'tolleration' of the continuing sabotaging Dr. Smith, is the reason LIS would be 'Saturday mourning' qualified. Every other reason is budget or poor writing related.

D

drwayne

Keep in mind one other thing. During that time - there was a definite market for camp.
Stuff that looks silly today - and probably did then to was "in" - so I understand how
Smith would sell.

I liked Priplanus by the way - though I am sure I wouldn't want to live there. :)

One other thing to keep in mind, the first to second season transition also marked the
transition from black and white into color, so they changed some things on set, and
the props changed. When I was a kid, I liked the second season "new" lasers, though
as I have gotten older, I have developed an asthetic (not technical) appreciation for the
first season "second" laser rifle. (Not the one that was used for the first few episodes)

C

crazyeddie

drwayne":2p5pte5n said:
One other thing to keep in mind, the first to second season transition also marked the
transition from black and white into color, so they changed some things on set, and
the props changed. When I was a kid, I liked the second season "new" lasers, though
as I have gotten older, I have developed an asthetic (not technical) appreciation for the
first season "second" laser rifle. (Not the one that was used for the first few episodes)

The props did indeed change on LIS.....sometimes from episode to episode. I wonder how many people knew that the Jupiter 2 was equipped with real computers, not just blinking lights.....specifically, the Burroughs B-205, which appeared in many science fiction shows of the day. And the interior sets on the Jupiter 2 was constantly being reworked. In the first few episodes, a careful viewer could see noticeable changes in the structure and shape of the J2. One scene, for example, where Will is using the "radio telescope" to view the danger Don and his father are in from the giant cyclops creature, there is no oval porthole window next to the airlock......even though in just a few episodes previously, this window was clearly there, and they used it to watch the unfolding drama of Maureen and John being trapped outside of the airlock when the comet was passing. The reason for this is that that was a scene pulled from the never-broadcast pilot, and in that configuration, the J2 had no porthole there.....it wasn't added until later, when the J2 went through a major overhaul with the art designers. In it's original form, it had only one deck: the flight deck, where the freezing tubes and controls were located. There was no living accommodations on the J2 at all, because in the original series concept, they were to set up camp on the planet orbiting Alpha Centauri, and would not have been revived from hibernation until they entered the atmosphere of the new world. So when they added the second deck, the shape of the ship itself changed in subtle ways. The Astrogation bubble on the top of the ship shrank, as did the main forward view window. The lower half of the J2 assumed a bulkier aspect to accommodate the extra deck, and the second forward viewport was added.

One fascinating point that even most fans of the show were never aware of had to do with the Astrogator, the device in the center of the flight deck that had the little spinning replica of the Jupiter 2. It was designed to actually rise all the way up on a pedestal into the Astrogation bubble on the top of the ship....presumably in order to take fixes on known stars as it guided the ship to it's destination. There was only one scene in the entire series that it was shown to do this: the same one I mentioned above. The camera is outside the main airlock, and Will is looking through the "radio telescope". The viewer is focused on the drama of what Will is seeing as he describes it to his mother, but if you look behind them into the interior of the ship, the Astrogator is missing......all you can see is the pedestal. One would assume that since the ship had crashed and they had no further immediate use for it, the Robinsons raised the Astrogator to give themselves more room on the flight deck.....but of course, none of this is ever explained.

In the third season is when things really got whacky, when the J2 acquired a "Space Pod" and a third deck: the "power core", which was seen in only one episode. Even a casual viewer could tell that there was simply no room in the interior of the Jupiter 2 to accommodate these "props", especially the power core deck, which was ridiculously huge. Nevertheless, as campy as the show became plot-wise, it demonstrates the incredible amount of detail and lavish amounts of money that went into the Jupiter 2 design and sets....which is why it gets my vote as the "most awesome TV spaceship ever!" :mrgreen:

D

drwayne

There is a guy who builds replicas of the Burroughs display - they are pretty expensive, about 2K a pop.

In the pilot, I believe it was known as the Jupiter 12, in its incarnation with no lower deck.

It is interesting to note that in the beginning, Don was the only one qualified to fly the Jupiter 2.
As things progressed, it seemed like everyone but Dr. Smith could. In the first season space
episodes, there was only one seat in front of the console/viewports - later there were two.

The force field added an additional element later. What is interesting about that is that in some
episodes of Batman, you can see the force field hardware up in the background in the Batcave.
It is interesting to note (under the category of make it up as you go along) that the controls
for the force field were in several different places - if you believe the action. :)

The small portholes did have a shutter pannel on them, they were only shown a few times.

Wayne

C

crazyeddie

drwayne":2qek0bch said:
There is a guy who builds replicas of the Burroughs display - they are pretty expensive, about 2K a pop.

In the pilot, I believe it was known as the Jupiter 12, in its incarnation with no lower deck.

Wayne

Actually, it was the Gemini 12 in the pilot. By by the time LIS was about to air, the Gemini Program was already underway, and they felt it had already become an old-fashioned name. They wanted to give the impression that this vessel was absolute state-of-the-art, so they did not want to tie it to any existing spacecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.