Is subterrainian shelters plausible for Mars or moon surface exploration

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Remter

I wonder if NASA has considered being proactive in its desire to explore the martian surface by delivering a payload of supplies for a subterrainian shelter to protect explorers or equipment from solar events. Perhaps this can be applied to moon exploration so how does one send NASA fresh ideas to move space exploration forward. Perhaps we can create a safer planet but focusing on intellectual pursuit involving new discoveries off the planet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Remter </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I wonder if NASA has considered being proactive in its desire to explore the martian surface by delivering a payload of supplies for a subterrainian shelter to protect explorers or equipment from solar events. Perhaps this can be applied to moon exploration so how does one send NASA fresh ideas to move space exploration forward. Perhaps we can create a safer planet but focusing on intellectual pursuit involving new discoveries off the planet. <br /> Posted by Remter</DIV></p><p>Subterranean shelters are certainly possible, but natural ones may not be in the places we want to live and explore. &nbsp; You can accomplish almost the same thing by burying your habitat in a sufficient amount of regolith or topsoil, so that's what I expect the early explorers will do.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

neilsox

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I wonder if NASA has considered being proactive in its desire to explore the martian surface by delivering a payload of supplies for a subterrainian shelter to protect explorers or equipment from solar events. Perhaps this can be applied to moon exploration so how does one send NASA fresh ideas to move space exploration forward. Perhaps we can create a safer planet but focusing on intellectual pursuit involving new discoveries off the planet. <br />Posted by Remter</DIV><br />Earth likely has deep underground caverns and tunels almost everywhere, and Mars likely also. Natural tunels may be small and rare below the surface of our moon and some other moons. Some of the caverns may be suitable and provide excellent radiation protection, while one meter of regloth provides only partial protection from solar flares.&nbsp;I think the tunels can belocated planet wide with tomography equipment which has already maped Earth to a depth of several&nbsp;kilometers. &nbsp; Neil

R

Remter

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Earth likely has deep underground caverns and tunels almost everywhere, and Mars likely also. Natural tunels may be small and rare below the surface of our moon and some other moons. Some of the caverns may be suitable and provide excellent radiation protection, while one meter of regloth provides only partial protection from solar flares.&nbsp;I think the tunels can belocated planet wide with tomography equipment which has already maped Earth to a depth of several&nbsp;kilometers. &nbsp; Neil <br />Posted by neilsox</DIV><br /><br />&nbsp;thanks for the comment. I wonder how much solar depth is required to give an appropriate level of protect in the event of a solar flare (sinces these can now be pridicted hours in advance). Is there any new on whether the next lander will have tomography capability installed along with the new analyzer? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Remter </div>

R

Remter

<p>QUOTE]Subterranean shelters are certainly possible, but natural ones may not be in the places we want to live and explore. &nbsp; You can accomplish almost the same thing by burying your habitat in a sufficient amount of regolith or topsoil, so that's what I expect the early explorers will do. <br />Posted by crazyeddie[/QUOTE]</p><p>thanks for the comment. have you given much thought to the tunneling a crater since it has some depth? </p><p>If there is no danger of water this may provide a quick way to create a safe base from which to explore</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Remter </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;thanks for the comment. I wonder how much solar depth is required to give an appropriate level of protect in the event of a solar flare (sinces these can now be pridicted hours in advance). Is there any new on whether the next lander will have tomography capability installed along with the new analyzer? <br />Posted by Remter</DIV><br /><br />I don't think so.</p><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td class="missionTabSubtitle">Mars Science Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts