Is that Mercury?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fallingstar1971

Rain SSSSSUCKS :( :( :( :( :( :( :( (At least Im far enough away from the Connecticut River as to not be swimming in it by then)

On the bright side, hopefully it will be gone by Thursday, just in time for Mercury. Ill try for a picture or two when the time comes. I have 3 days to scout out a nice firm spot where I can put down a pallet or something. The base of my scope is wood and I am going to try and avoid getting it wet, if at all possible.

Perhaps a ride out to Mt Holyoke to see if I can get to the summit house.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Star

A

aaron38

The last two days have been cloudy, but I did catch Mercury at sunset on Friday the 26th. It was about three fingers width (at arms length) to the lower right of Venus.

It wasn't that easy to spot, I didn't pick it up until ~7:40, well after sunset when it was nearing 5 degrees above the horizon. Only a bit brighter than the fading sun glow, but it was there. I'll be observing every clear sunset I get this week, I've got a great western viewpoint with weather being the only obstruction.

And what was even more amazing was my observing site also has good views to the East, and as I was watching Venus and Mercury set, there was Saturn rising in the East, with the Moon and Mars overhead. Only Jupiter missed the party.

A

aaron38

Near perfect conditions today, just a few wispy clouds, and Mercury was easily visible by 7:35 CDT. What a difference a couple of degrees makes, enough to get it out of the pale yellow band into the darker greenish blue. Visibility peaked about 8pm and it made a very nice pair with Venus the whole way down.

I kept splitting my attention between the pair setting on one side and the full Moon rising through thin clouds on the other. Those are the moments when you can almost feel the planet turning. Quite a sunset.

S

serosang

Fallingstar1971":1r8xpa6s said:
Clear Skys

Whoop!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Star
looking for mercury check this out ;)

spacemarch292010032a.jpg

M

MeteorWayne

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?vie ... &year=2010

SUNSET PLANETS: The Solar System's innermost planets are about to put on a beautiful show. This week, Mercury is emerging from the glare of the sun and making a beeline for Venus. By week's end the two planets will be just 3o apart, a bright and eye-catching pair. Keep an eye on the sunset! Sky maps: April 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Apr 1

skymap_north.gif

Apr 5

skymap_north.gif

M

MeteorWayne

From S&T: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observin ... 79827.html

Nice day by day map with the article

"Mercury Takes the Spotlight

Sun-hugging Mercury is the most elusive of the five classical planets, but in late March and early April 2010 the little planet will be as obvious as it ever becomes for mid-northern observers. Moreover, the bright signpost of Venus will be there to point the way.

The two inner planets remain less than 5° apart from March 28th to April 12th, though Mercury fades greatly during this time: from magnitude –1.1 to +0.7, a loss of four-fifths of its light. They appear closest, 3.0° apart, on the evenings of April 3rd and 4th for North America."

M

MeteorWayne

The clouds finally cooperated and I spotted Mercury next to Venus for only the third time in my life. :)

An image I took, from Ashford, Kent, United Kingdom (51 deg 8' North 0 deg 53' East).

Venus on left, Mercury on right. Time stamp is on GMT / UTC not CET (BST).

Sunday 4th April 2010 (Easter Day 2010) @ 19:29 UTC.
PICT0183VenusMercurys.jpg

Full res image.

Venus & Mercury cropped out from above image.
PICT0183VenusMercurycrop.jpg

Andrew Brown.

Today as a birthday present I have a brand new Digital Camera, Canon Powershot SX120, one that can be used properly for Night Sky photography. If the weather holds out, I will be trying it later on Venus & Mercury.

The images posted yesterday are from a popint & shoot better for daytime.

Andrew.

All with my new camera. Canon Powershot SX120.

Times are in GMT / UTC. Not CET (BST). Ashford, Kent, United Kingdom.

Did not quite get the settings right, but got both Venus & Mercury. This is a shrunken crop.

Monday5thApril2010VenusMercury1smal.jpg

Venus & Mercury, cropped out.
Monday5thApril2010VenusMercury2.jpg

Full Sized uncropped.

Got a bit better with these. It was deep twilight, ISO setting 1600 @ 15 seconds.

Sirius, Mirzam & Orion. Monday 5th April 2010.
Monday5thApril20102small.jpg

Full Sized uncropped.

Aldebaran, Hyades & Pleiades. Monday 5th April 2010.
Monday5thApril20103HyadesPleiades.jpg

Capella & The Kids. Monday 5th April 2010.
Monday5thApril20103CapellaTheKids.jpg

Full Sized uncropped.

Andrew Brown.

S

strandedonearth

Well, I hope the weather cooperates for me tonight. Then I have to remember to go to the store around 7:30~8:00 (that would be the best time, right?) because that's where the nearest best western sightline is.

On a side note, I think this is the longest thread I've ever started :)

M

MeteorWayne

strandedonearth":2jkrh5q2 said:
On a side note, I think this is the longest thread I've ever started :)

Not surprising really. It's a great subject. Trust me, apparitions of Mercury when it's this easy to find are pretty rare...it is too good an opportunity to miss!

MW

S

strandedonearth

Of course the weather wouldn't cooperate with me tonight. Nice pics btw

O

origin

Great viewing tonight I was really suprised at how bright and high in the sky mercury was, it looks very nice next to venus.

S

strandedonearth

The clouds finally cleared for me last night, and I spotted Mercury for the first time in my life. It does seem to be dimming quickly because it was almost full dark before it was visible. It was also twinkling, which I didn't think planets did. It looked reddish, much more reddish than Mars, which looks orange to me.

M

MeteorWayne

It's rather far from Venus right now. As far as the red and twinkling, probably caused by how low it was (like a red sunset) and it's small size (about 8 arc-seconds, the same as Mars is right now, from top to bottom, but it's less than 50% illuminated, rapidly becoming a crescent as it heads toward us.)

Edit: It was clear tonight, and Mercury is not a far away as I thought it would be. (After 3 or 4 cloudy days, I knd of stop paying attention). Still, it is very small and dim which explains the twinkling and reddishness. Current magnitude is about +0.3.

S

serosang

august veiwing

anything of interest gonna happen in august? if so what/when?

M

MeteorWayne

Well, venus begins to set earlier, get larger and become crescent shaped.

The Perseid meteor shower is under way, and peaks around Aug 12-14.

S

serosang

MeteorWayne":6jp7j8gv said:

where in the sky do i watch for the perseid meteor shower? and around what time should i be watching? i've tried the past two nights but havent seen anything; i found this other site stating The Perseid meteors appear to stream away from their radiant near the border of Perseus and Cassiopeia. And while you're outside on a dark night, don't forget to look for the Double Cluster and the Andromeda Galaxy, two of the easiest "faint fuzzies" to spot with your unaided eyes. but it dosent make much sense to me cause the only constelations that im familar with are the dippers (big/small)

M

MeteorWayne

serosang":1n854gx3 said:
MeteorWayne":1n854gx3 said:

where in the sky do i watch for the perseid meteor shower? and around what time should i be watching? i've tried the past two nights but havent seen anything; i found this other site stating The Perseid meteors appear to stream away from their radiant near the border of Perseus and Cassiopeia. And while you're outside on a dark night, don't forget to look for the Double Cluster and the Andromeda Galaxy, two of the easiest "faint fuzzies" to spot with your unaided eyes. but it dosent make much sense to me cause the only constelations that im familar with are the dippers (big/small)

If those are the only two constellations you know, there's little we can do in a short period of time. Orion is at least as easy to recognize as the dippers, as is Scorpio. Sometimes YOU have to make a little effort.

As to where to watch for the Perseids, whatever part of your sky is the darkest. After midnight is when the rates are the best.

S

serosang

meteor shower

if they say a shower's peak is thursday dose that mean its pointless watching the nights leading up to it?

M

MeteorWayne

No not at all, the Perseids are active from mid July to Aug 25th, current rates are > 30/Hr under perfect conditions.

S

serosang

MeteorWayne":3ul5qmqv said:
No not at all, the Perseids are active from mid July to Aug 25th, current rates are > 30/Hr under perfect conditions.

perfect conditions meaning??

and if im looking at the sky-chart i printed out for wenesday night each consetaltion gets higher in the sky as it gets later right? and if so dose that mean the meteors will be too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts