Is there a reason that Orion can't use STS-era suits in 0g?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I know that STS/ISS suits can't be used on the Moon.&nbsp; But what about in 0g?&nbsp; Is NASA wanting to make improvements?&nbsp; Perhaps to a hard or semi-hard suit? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

C

Cygnus_2112

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I know that STS/ISS suits can't be used on the Moon.&nbsp; But what about in 0g?&nbsp; Is NASA wanting to make improvements?&nbsp; Perhaps to a hard or semi-hard suit? <br /> Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;Too big for Orion. &nbsp;&nbsp; Don't need the backpack and can't sit with the shuttle suits. &nbsp; Also Orion won't have the servicing capabilities for the shuttle suit.&nbsp; The initial suits will be for launch, entry, abort and tethered EVA's. &nbsp;&nbsp; The lunar suits will use components from the initial suits. &nbsp; </p>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Too big for Orion. &nbsp;&nbsp; Don't need the backpack and can't sit with the shuttle suits. &nbsp; Also Orion won't have the servicing capabilities for the shuttle suit.&nbsp; The initial suits will be for launch, entry, abort and tethered EVA's. &nbsp;&nbsp; The lunar suits will use components from the initial suits.</p><p>Posted by Cygnus_2112</DIV><br />The first news posts about the suits were short on information.&nbsp; I am starting to see some with more details.&nbsp; However, one thing I was hoping for would be an attempt to see how BioSuit does in space.&nbsp; Unlike traditional suits, it uses materials similar to spandex to maintian pressure rather than airpressure.&nbsp; As a bonus, it is more compact. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

B

baulten

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The first news posts about the suits were short on information.&nbsp; I am starting to see some with more details.&nbsp; However, one thing I was hoping for would be an attempt to see how BioSuit does in space.&nbsp; Unlike traditional suits, it uses materials similar to spandex to maintian pressure rather than airpressure.&nbsp; As a bonus, it is more compact. <br /> Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>Seems to me that on the Moon at least you'd need something harder than the BioSuit that MIT is designing.&nbsp; It's a good idea, but moon dust might cause lacerations in a thin, elastic space suit.&nbsp; It'd be useful on Mars and such, though. </p>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Seems to me that on the Moon at least you'd need something harder than the BioSuit that MIT is designing.&nbsp; It's a good idea, but moon dust might cause lacerations in a thin, elastic space suit.&nbsp; It'd be useful on Mars and such, though.</p><p>Posted by baulten</DIV><br />That is when you go with a hard suit.&nbsp; The images I saw in the link above show a semi-hard suit.&nbsp; My problem is that a semi-hard still has the pressure problems of a balloon, or at least some of them.&nbsp; My main concern in the glove.&nbsp; You can't make them hard without resorting to the solution used by the Newtsuit. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

V

vulture4

<p>I'm curious wh Oceaneering (mainly a maker of oilfield equipment) was chosen. Was NASA dissatisfied with its current contractors, or did they have something really new to offer in technology?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Seems to me that on the Moon at least you'd need something harder than the BioSuit that MIT is designing.&nbsp; It's a good idea, but moon dust might cause lacerations in a thin, elastic space suit.&nbsp; It'd be useful on Mars and such, though. <br />Posted by baulten</DIV></p><p>Not really.&nbsp; MCP gloves are quite tough.&nbsp;&nbsp;I &nbsp;have worn a prototype in the field and that particular glove saw many days of hard usage before it started wearing.&nbsp; If people were concerned about dust you could have a dust proof outer layer.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm curious wh Oceaneering (mainly a maker of oilfield equipment) was chosen. Was NASA dissatisfied with its current contractors, or did they have something really new to offer in technology?&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by vulture4</DIV></p><p>Among the oilfield equipment they make and services they supply are deep sea saturation diving, pressure chambers, and 1 atmosphere hard suits (WASP).&nbsp; I suspect they do have something new to offer. Hard or semi-hard suits are ideal for the suit port apprach, which is flavour of the month for suit designers.&nbsp; It is also a good way to minimise the hazards of lunar dust. </p><p>Like some others, I would prefer to have seen MCP technology.&nbsp; But there is always Mars for that.&nbsp; Certainly the latest diving hard suits masss in the 70 kg range, incldung life support.&nbsp; that is very pratical for lunar suits.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That is when you go with a hard suit.&nbsp; The images I saw in the link above show a semi-hard suit.&nbsp; My problem is that a semi-hard still has the pressure problems of a balloon, or at least some of them.&nbsp; My main concern in the glove.&nbsp; You can't make them hard without resorting to the solution used by the Newtsuit. <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>The designer of the Newtsuit used to work for Oceaneering.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The designer of the Newtsuit used to work for Oceaneering</p><p>Posted by jonclarke</DIV><br />So how do they pressurize the gloves? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So how do they pressurize the gloves? <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>I would suggest&nbsp;normal flexible spacesuit gloves.&nbsp; There is no reason why you could not have MCP gloves either with a hard or semi-hard suit.&nbsp; Or some form of manipulator, although a loved hand, even in a concentional space suit, is probably better.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

C

Cygnus_2112

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So how do they pressurize the gloves? <br /> Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>They are directly connect to the rest of the suit&nbsp;</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts