"John Carter of Mars" - casting update

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

John Carter of Mars

Release: 2012

Shoot starts: Q1 2010

Director: Andrew Stanton (WALL-E, Monsters Inc. 1/2, Finding Nemo, Toy Story 1/2) - his first live action movie (plus some mo-cap)

Screen writer: Michael Chabon (Pulitzer Prize winning novelist; Spiderman 2; Snow and the Seven - an 1800's retelling of Snow White)

Cast -

John Carter: Taylor Kitch (Gambit in Wolverine)

Dejah Thoris: Lynn Collins (SilverFox in Wolverine)

Sab Than: Dominic West (Theron in 300; Inspector Popil in Hannibal Rising)

Tars Tarikas: Willem DaFoe (too long to list!!)

Martai Shang: Mark Strong (Stardust; Sunshine; Babylon AD)

Tal Hajus: Thomas Hayden Church (Sandman in Spiderman 3; Billy Clanton in Tombstone)

Sarkoja: Polly Walker (Rome; Clash of the Titans; Caprica; Cane)

Kantos Kan: James Purefoy (Rome; A Knight's Tale; Resident Evil)

Edgar Rice Burroughs (as a teen): Daryl Sabara

Sola: Samantha Morton

K

Kerberos

Will Lynn Collins be incomparable? And will she dress like the real Dejah Thoris?

E

Eman_3

dafoemars.jpg

Excerpts from http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BrentSprecher/news/?a=10420

John Carter Of Mars is currently scheduled to start shooting next January, so Dafoe doesn't know much about it yet, but he is "very excited" and he has "seen renderings" of his character. Dafoe is playing Tars Tarkas, a leader of the Thark race who becomes an ally to Carter(Kitsch)..

"I've seen a lot of the designs and things, and I've just started to do prep work now… But I'm starting doing [CGI] scans and things like that, but it's going to be a real full-on… Well, I'm nine feet tall with four arms, but, just from the scheduling, I'm going to do the stuff."

"Also, they'll use my face, but they'll enhance it in a way–both after and before–in a way that I may not be recognizable. But, I'm good with that. It's particularly cool, because he's a creature, but he's got this huge range of character. And, he does cool things in the movies."

Asked whether or not his character would be CGI or live action Dafoe said..

"It is going to be a combination, Andrew Stanton comes out of Pixar and the amount of research and development that they do on this stuff is incredible. And I'll be involved in part of that."

jc11.jpg

geez, I have to keep my expectations in check. John Carter has great potential for a great movie. But who knows how it will end up. I also had great expectations for Starship Troopers.

K

Kerberos

Somewhere, packed away in a box under 2 or 3 inches of dust, I have that comic book. I think I'll see if I can find it.

N

nimbus

That green doesn't look anything like I imagined from the book.. Way too humanoid.

S

summoner

Can't wait for this to come out, the books that got me hooked on sci-fi. And Willem Dafoe is one of the best, such a bad-ass in Streets of Fire.

D

docm

Ever see DeFoe in Shadow of the Vampire as actor/vampire Max Schreck?

Could he have been any creepier? Neh...don't think so :p

Status
Not open for further replies.