Jupiter Venus - baloon probe exploration

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qso1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega_program<br /><br />I went looking myself as I couldn't recall much about it but the wiki link refreshed my memory. And I recall not ever seeing images from that mission. Wiki has no links to images either that I could find. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

C

caats

The VEGA mission Venus balloons were fields, particles & atmospheric studies. No cameras were used, hence no pictures. <br /><br />Only the craft that continued on to Comey Halley had cameras. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

Courtesy Edmund Halley.After so many days we hear of Halleys comet.Can you tell me what happened to the comet after that?

V

vandivx

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>What I find rather interesting is that the Russians did Venus pretty well, but Mars was another story. They have yet to successfully land an unmanned probe on Mars. They were the first to land an unmanned probe on Mars back in 1971 or 73 IIRC. But they lost contact less than a minute after it landed.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Russian space program suffered after early haydays too, like American program though for different reasons<br /><br />as for images, quite a number can be found on those links at the bottom of those wiki pages the links of which I posted in my last post, it is worthwhile to look at all those links, one even contains picture drawing of the balloon trajectory as well as the landing probe on Venus<br /><br />I think if they could just repeat with today's technology the daring feats of those days (Venera/Vega programs), we would be miles ahead of the currently ongoing ESA Venus mission, what it can bring, strikes me as too tame<br /><br />there was that debate regarding NASA if they should do many cheaper missions or fewer more expensive ones, IMO it should be combination of cheap daring and fast put together missions that would be just serving to put together once in a while major expensive mission, that is it shouldn't be either or but both approaches have their own pluses and both have their place<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

vanDivX:<br />I think if they could just repeat with today's technology the daring feats of those days (Venera/Vega programs), we would be miles ahead of the currently ongoing ESA Venus mission, what it can bring, strikes me as too tame<br /><br />Me:<br />For ESA its bold. Not to denigrate ESA, they are a fine organization but this is their first Venus mission IIRC and although this mission was well into development when they were developing their mars mission, they made an even bigger gamble on Mars and lost when they lost the Beagle 2. It wasn't a total loss of course, as the Mars Express orbiter survived.<br /><br />vanDivX:<br />there was that debate regarding NASA if they should do many cheaper missions or fewer more expensive ones, IMO it should be combination of cheap daring and fast put together missions that would be just serving to put together once in a while major expensive mission, that is it shouldn't be either or but both approaches have their own pluses and both have their place.<br /><br />Me:<br />I agree with that, unfortunately, with NASA being taxpayer funded and a large percentage of taxpayers question NASAs very existence. The best we can do for now is rely on the Venus Express mission. The U.S. has yet to attempt a landing on Venus and that would be a reasonable place to restart our Venus exploration again. A lander that would include balloons released into the atmosphere where they could remotely sample various altitudes. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

If your talking an unmanned mission, the next one IIRC is the Phoenix lander which is currently schedule for launch in August of next year. Its scheduled to arrive at Mars after a 10 month cruise to mars which would be a June of 2008 arrival.<br /><br />No firm human flights to mars beyond the general goal outlined by the Bush plan which basically plans for a Mars mission after 2020. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.