Keeping Threads On Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is normal for threads on forums to evolve. However, IMO it is helpful to try to stay within the parameters, or the obvious intent of the thread, when responding.

I will use an example that has nothing to do with any active thread on Telescopes. It is just an example to illustrate my point.
Let’s say someone starts a thread requesting information or opinions regarding Celestron telescopes. Perhaps they have a Celestron and are looking for suggestions for upgrades. Maybe they just want feedback from actual users instead of company claims and advertisements. Whatever. The point is, they are looking for information on Celestrons.

You may love your Meade telescope, but in this case, posting comments about your Meade would be off topic and disrespectful to the person who started the thread. There may be other discussions where various telescope brands are discussed, or you can start your own Meade telescope thread.

Seeing threads get derailed also discourages members from starting a discussion if they think that the usual suspects will jump in and try to take it over with their own pet theories.

Thank you.

Reactions: Craftsman X
It needs to stay interesting. People have different views and reply in their own manner
I’m not sure what you mean by that.

If there weren’t members with different viewpoints, there would be no point in discussion. The reply feature wouldn’t even be needed. My point is that it is more conducive to a constructive and balanced discussion if everyone stays within the parameters of the Opening Post. The OP is virtually always intended to examine or discuss a certain issue. If even one controversial off-topic post is made, that can drive the entire discussion so far off on a tangent that a rational discussion of the original topic is no longer possible. I have seen far too many discussions destroyed by someone who deliberately sabotages the discussion, derailing it. That is disrespectful to the person who started the discussion.

Using my example, if you think your Meade telescope is better than a Celestron, then point that out in a Meade Telescope thread, or start your own Meade Telescope discussion. If you post it in that Celestron thread, it could easily erupt into a Meade vs Celestron battle, destroying the original intent of the member’s quest for feedback from Celestron owners.

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
I’m not sure what you mean by that.

If there weren’t members with different viewpoints, there would be no point in discussion. The reply feature wouldn’t even be needed. My point is that it is more conducive to a constructive and balanced discussion if everyone stays within the parameters of the Opening Post. The OP is virtually always intended to examine or discuss a certain issue. If even one controversial off-topic post is made, that can drive the entire discussion so far off on a tangent that a rational discussion of the original topic is no longer possible. I have seen far too many discussions destroyed by someone who deliberately sabotages the discussion, derailing it. That is disrespectful to the person who started the discussion.

Using my example, if you think your Meade telescope is better than a Celestron, then point that out in a Meade Telescope thread, or start your own Meade Telescope discussion. If you post it in that Celestron thread, it could easily erupt into a Meade vs Celestron battle, destroying the original intent of the member’s quest for feedback from Celestron owners.
I guess I like playing dominos. Get the drift

In the interest of civil and constructive discussions, I believe it is important for all members to respect the concerns of those who ask a question, propose a scenario, or invite discussion on a specific topic. The point of having 27 different forums, allowing literally an unlimited number of separate threads within each forum, is to allow for constructive discussion of a wide variety of different topics without them becoming entangled with each other. IMO that is in the best interests of every member of Space Dot Com forums.

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks! It's the nature of conversation for one topic to open up into another, but it always good practice to keep on topic, and if you do find a thread has gone slightly off topic, it's always a good idea to make a new thread so you can continue to discuss the new topic at hand. If you feel a thread has gone wildly off topic and would like to suggest a new topic be made, please use the report function. Also, a friendly reminder to also use the report function rather then make threads here if you wish to discuss or report user behaviour.

Closing this now, looking forward to seeing more discussions come up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts