Large amount of matter detected traveling at near-C

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nimbus

<p>There was a thread a while back, on uplink, where someone pointed out the discovery of a big chunk of matter detected as moving at a considerable fraction of lightspeed.</p><p>Does&nbsp;anyone&nbsp;remember&nbsp;this?&nbsp;&nbsp;Either&nbsp;the&nbsp;thread,&nbsp;or&nbsp;any&nbsp;bits&nbsp;from&nbsp;the article or discussion that'd help me find the specific name or location of that discovery. &nbsp;I'd like to keep tabs on it, because as far as I can tell, something interesting should happen between that matter and the matter standing still that it runs through.</p><p>&nbsp;Thanks.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>There was a thread a while back, on uplink, where someone pointed out the discovery of a big chunk of matter detected as moving at a considerable fraction of lightspeed.Does&nbsp;anyone&nbsp;remember&nbsp;this?&nbsp;&nbsp;Either&nbsp;the&nbsp;thread,&nbsp;or&nbsp;any&nbsp;bits&nbsp;from&nbsp;the article or discussion that'd help me find the specific name or location of that discovery. &nbsp;I'd like to keep tabs on it, because as far as I can tell, something interesting should happen between that matter and the matter standing still that it runs through.&nbsp;Thanks.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by nimbus</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>"<em>Matter is thus moving with a speed that is only different from that of light by three parts in a million,</em>" says <em>Stefano Covino</em>, co-author of the study. "<em>While single particles in the Universe can be accelerated to still larger velocities - i.e. much larger Lorentz factors - one has to realise that in the present cases, it is the equivalent of about 200 times the mass of the Earth that acquired this incredible speed.</em>" </p><p>http://www.eso.org/public/outreach/press-rel/pr-2007/pr-26-07.html</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I don't remember the thread, but maybe this is what you are looking for? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

N

nimbus

Yes, Derek, thank you.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.