LBT Completion date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qso1

Refresh my memory, what is LBT? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Just Googled it, Large Binocular Telescope which has already achieved first light but I didn't see a completion date which I'm assuming your referring to it being used as an interferometer.<br /><br />http://lbtwww.arcetri.astro.it/ <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

G

gregoire

I've been to the LBT site many times and find it's lack of information frustrating. I would have expected that they would post a projected completion date, but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear to be the case.

T

tfwthom

From JPL Missions website: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/alphabetical_index.cfm#l<br /><br />Large Binocular Telescope Interferometer<br />First Light: 2008<br /><br />Two 8-meter (26-foot) telescopes on Mount Graham, Arizona will be connected. The ground-based telescope system will identify faint dust clouds around other stars that might hinder planet-finding missions. The mission is managed by the University of Arizona, Tucson in conjunction with multipe international partners. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

Q

qso1

Right, its still not able to be used as an interferometer which won't be possible till the other mirror is done. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Same here, one of these scopes might actually be able to image larger planets around nearby stars. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts