linking amateur telescopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sygyrd

My name is Todd Saint Pé. I'm not sure how to post this to an appropriate place on the blog. Please forgive my sticking it here. If there is a way to move it to a more appropriate place (even the trashcan if you feel it necessary... please do so.) <br /><br /> I had what I think is incredible idea. I'm writing you about it because your professional interests and/or connections might help get it out there and get it done. If it turns out my idea is totally flaky or ill-informed (or already in the works), feel free to ignore my email altogether. I hope it is not flaky or ill-informed and that you will get as excited about it as I am. It is a simple idea with potentially great ramifications. Here it goes:<br /><br />Today it is common practice for professional astronomers to coordinate telescopes positioned all over the world to look at the same object together. Technology now exists, or could easily be developed, to enable amateur astronomers to do the same. If we developed this technology in conjunction with a platform that allowed professional astronomers to have access to them, and to coordinate their use, think of the boon this could be to astronomers (who are famous for always needing more telescope time). <br /><br />Granted, it would be no Jodrell Bank (insert any name of other coordinated telescope arrays here), but the sheer quantity of amateur astronomers would insure that there would be some quality instruments at professionals' disposal. AND I'm willing to bet that with such a platform in place, more amateurs would invest in instruments that were useful to the scientific community. <br /><br />The success of the SETI number-crunching screen saver is proof enough that the general public is itching to contribute in a meaningful way to science. If the platform that allowed scientist to coordinate the instruments also allowed them to educate the amateurs about what they were looking at and why, there would be no end of volunteers. It would also be a g

M

MeteorWayne

sygyrd, <br /><br />First, welcome to SDC! <br /><br />I believe such a network already exists. As I have time I'll try and find a reference to it. Perhaps others here already know the details <br /><br />Wayne <br /><br /><br />PS I have copied this response over to ask the astronomer, since of the 5 identical posts in 5 fora, I think this is the one that should survive.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts