Logistical use of space-based rail gun technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PJay_A

Would it be practical to construct an electromagnet "rail gun" along the I-beam of the space station (with extensions outward on both ends, if needed) to launch supply pallets as close to lunar orbit as possible (where then the pallets would use their own rockets for insertion into lunar orbit and then out of lunar orbit to land at a lunar base to deliver its payload) and visa versa (using electro rail guns to send supply cargo into LEO). This would drastically reduce operating costs for both LEO space stations and lunar bases. Further savings for LEO space stations can be gained if water and/or Oxygen is processed on the moon and launched to LEO via lunar rail gun launchers.

K

kg

PJay_A":1rcuqwg4 said:
Would it be practical to construct an electromagnet "rail gun" along the I-beam of the space station....

I'm not sure but I think you use alot more energy to get off the surface of the earth and plowing through the atmosphere to get into orbit than you need to go from earths orbit to the moon. So you might not be saving much rocket fuel there. The other thing is the recoil of the "rail gun" would drastically effect the orbit of the space station which would need to be corrected with the space stations' rockets so nothing gained there. It sounds good to me to put the "rail gun" on the surface of the moon (as you suggested) and launch your groceries up into orbit from there. You would need some increadibly forward thinking people with alot of cash to build infrastructure like that though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts